Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I Am a Walker - La Passeggiata di Mattina

DO: Wake up, throw on clothes, attach pedometer, grab Jay and walk out the door.
DON'T: Turn on computer, open up the newspaper, pour a cup of coffee...those are all rewards that I will receive when I return home from "The Morning Walk."  I do not like to exercise.  I do not like to "glow."  But I know that at this time in my life, if I don't keep moving, stretching and strengthening my muscles, it will begin a downhill slide.
Pedometer

Since we retired 10 years ago, we have had a membership at the YMCA.  Jay has been credited with getting me there at least 3 times a week for work-outs and I got myself there for yoga.  These are new economic times and recently we had to re-evaluate how we were going to spend the money we have.  So the priorities remain:
  1. exploration through travel, books, classes, the internet and technology; 
  2. spending time with family; 
  3. dancing.  
To continue to do this we had to streamline some other facets of our life so we chose to cancel our HBO (there is no more Deadwood nor The Wire anyway!), eat at home more (no problem for me since I love to cook), and to cancel our Y membership (all the exercise we did at the Y we can accomplish at home if we are disciplined.)  Thus... "The Morning Walk."  Isn't life a series of trade-offs?

The Italians have always placed value on walking.  They have a delightful tradition called "la passeggiata", the walk.  It happens everyday in every large city and tiny village in Italy.  It is not a morning walk but takes place at dusk.  Around 5 pm it is as if someone turns on a switch and the sidewalks begin to hum with activity.  Young and old pour out of their homes and take to the streets.  There is no destination in mind, they are not going anywhere in particular (though they may stop at a gelateria); they are just ambling through the main streets of the town.  It is not for the purpose of fitness but a daily participation in a social and cultural event.  It is way to see and be seen, to nod and share a few words and maybe some local gossip with friends.  Courting and flirting occurs between young couples, young parents proudly navigate their strollers, the elderly either walk slowly with heads bowed toward each other or stand in their doorways to converse as others pass by.  For everyone it is a way to feel a sense of belonging and renewal.  When in Italy, we rush out with everyone else and stroll the streets, maybe even buying a gelato while we are at it and we feel like we are part of this big Italian family.  But for Playa del Rey, it will be a Passeggiata di Mattina, a Morning Walk, and we will feel a sense of belonging with the neighborhood dog-walkers and return to our computer, newspaper and coffee with a sense of renewal.

2 comments:

  1. So true.
    I do see the Italians in my village doing a different type of walking in the early am hours. Many hike to their plots of land (sometimes small, sometimes large) in the hills to tend their gardens before the heat of the sun makes it impossible.

    Have a peace-filled day. . .
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also enjoy our passegiata and are lucky enough to be doing so in Italy! Thankyou for your recent comments on my Book Blog, so much appreciated and I will be responding there. Did you also find my other blog News From Italy, I think you might enjoy it as you mention visiting Italy?

    ReplyDelete