I guess there actually is an Italian John Grisham...he name is Gianrico Carofiglio.
Involuntary Witness is the first novel written by Carofiglio, an Italian anti-Mafia prosecutor who lives in Bari, a port town in the region of Puglia (picture the top of the heel of the Italian boot peninsula), the setting of his novels.
First of all, I love Italian names...with my limited Italian I figure this author's name, Gianrico Carofiglio means Rich John Dear Son.
His main character, Avvocato Giudo Guerrieri, is a 30ish criminal lawyer who agrees to take on the defense of Abdou Thiam, an African immigrant from Senegal, who has been accused of murdering a 9 year old boy. Abdou is one of many immigrant peddlers who sells his wares along the beaches of Bari.
Guido, who takes on the case reluctantly, is caught in difficult times himself. Experiencing a midlife type of boredom, he finds himself questioning if he should continue with the law. He is also adjusting to living alone after being "thrown to the curb" by his wife and experiences bouts of crying and panic attacks. But take on the case, he does, and in a thorough and methodical way he defends his client to the best of his ability using logic to attempt to cast doubt on his client's guilt and in the process goes through a period of personal change. I found the character quite likable.
I also found the storyline timely, considering the many immigrants from Tunisia who are flooding Italy's shores trying to leave the chaos in Africa for safety and a better life.
I enjoyed the novel. At the core of the story is the quest for truth. The courtroom scenes give insight into the Italian legal system and procedures. Throughout the author touches on judicial routines, common prejudices, the racism of a small town or society confronted with rising immigration. He challenges the social, cultural and political conditions of legal institutions and his points can easily apply globally. It left me thinking about justice!
This book was read as part of the Italy in Books Challenge.


Sounds interesting and I have not come across this first time Italian author until now, so thankyou.
ReplyDeleteAlso form the last post how lovely it must be to see the hummingbirds close up at your feeder.
I appreciated your kind comment about my wisteria photos.
Have a Happy Easter.
As always, Pat, thanks for including me in receiving your "stories". Have a happy Easter all of you and say hello to the boys and your mom and Kathy and Carl.
ReplyDeleteDick
Thanks Patricia for your nice comment in my blog.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have enjoyed this book.
So good to see how other authors treat these subjects. So, what did you learn about the Italian legal system?
ReplyDeleteThat sounds very interesting. Happy Easter to you.
ReplyDelete