![]() |
| Bing, Mary and Archie Rinaldi ~1923 |
![]() |
| 627 Franklin Ave. |
So, this house was my destination last week as Jay and I ventured across the 3000 miles separating Playa del Rey from Kent to participate in Aunt Mary's 90th birthday celebration.
Everyone should be so lucky as to have an Aunt Mary...to have an aunt that seems to see only the good and the fun in everything. Close my eyes and I can see her eyes crinkle up and I can hear her laughter.
Close my eyes and I can see her eyes get big as saucers and hear her voice exclaim..."Golly Neds, kiddo, I didn't know that!" No one can recount an story like Aunt Mary. Settle in for the detailed rendition of what he said and what she did, transporting herself and you back to that time in history for the full experience. Her life has not been a bed of roses. She has had her share of sadness, like losing her Johnny too soon in 1978, but she picks herself up and carries on. Humor, teasing and practical jokes spice up her life and bind her to her children and friends. She enters into life with her whole being! Everyone knows she is a diehard fan of the Kent State University basketball team, the Golden Flashes...so much so that when she was recently in a rehab center recovering from an illness, the family set up the TV and surrounded her with all her logo gear to cheer on her team literally turning her room into a stadium!
Aunt Mary is a people person, attracting friends like bees to honey...and I marveled at the day of the party as I saw over 196 people surround her, each representing a thread in the tapestry of her life...relatives from Cleveland and Neff, friends from her childhood, co-workers from the University Book store, women friends from her various organizations and social groups, neighbors from over the years and her much-loved family.
![]() |
| The entire Steinert family! |
![]() |
| Aunt Mary with all her great-grandchildren |
This is the gift that Aunt Mary gives to everyone. It is the reminder that life may present difficulties, you may have worries, you may not always get what you want, but the most important thing is to always see the good and enjoy the presence of all that surrounds you, the gift of the people that love you and that you love. And more than anything else...laugh! Everyone should be so lucky as to have an Aunt Mary.
Happy birthday, Aunt Mary....I love you!








Grandmothers and mothers are great, but there is something special about an aunt. I had a great-aunt who never married and always sent me Hallmark cards for my birthday. She "cared enough to send the very best"! I have a special aunt who is 11 years in our family, thanks to me and the internet! You are blessed, Patricia, to have celebrated a milestone birthday with yours.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderfully rich and touching this portrait. Yes, happy birthday to Aunt Mary.
ReplyDeleteI have an aunt which used to pamper me with my favourite food and fruits whenever we came and visit grandma. Its hard to find an aunt who is willing to climb a very tall mango tree so her niece can enjoy the fruits. I missed family gathering so much since we live overseas for several years now. Happy Birthday Aunt Mary.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to your Aunt. I am glad you enjoyed the peonies.
ReplyDelete