Thirteen years ago today, right about the time I am writing this post, I was in the women's restroom of TRW's Building 03, combing my hair and freshening my make-up as I got ready to drive over to the Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center to meet Jay Edie. It was our first "official" date and he was taking me to see "The Man of LaManchia." I close my eyes and I can picture him standing in front of the box office, wearing a dark blue suit and a light blue shirt. When he saw me, his eyes lit up and he walked toward me and handed me two items. One was my ticket and the other was a cartoon he had clipped out of the morning paper to share with me. Little did I know it would be the first of MANY clippings he would give to me over the next thirteen years.
So how did we celebrate our happy memory? After tending to domestic tasks in the morning, we set out to enjoy the little bit of California sun that was trying to come out through the June gloom. We drove past the Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center and had a moment of silence,
we spent some time at the Manhattan Beach Library browsing the new books,
we walked the Manhattan Beach strand enjoying our corner of paradise.
As we walked Jay reached for my hand and said..."I am still a romantic!" And he is. When we came home Jay made us Cosmo's to enjoy on the front porch as we toasted that happy day.
13 years and one day ago we were oblivious to what "life" had in store for us...that our lives would never be the same again. A reminder that you never know what is just around the curve on your journey of life. I am so grateful that it was Jay!





Ah, warmest congratulations to you both. xx
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely post! Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteOhhhhh! I loved this story! Congrats to you and to Jay, for finding each other, and for staying together. I have ventured down the path of dating just recently and hope to have good news to report after this evening, date number 2! Take care, love and hugs to you! e
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful , congratulations to you both :)
ReplyDeleteMother Poems
This brings back memories of our first date. Geoff is from Australia, and since I knew nothing about Australia except they had kangaroos and koala bears, I spent several hours the day of our first date reading the Encyclopedia Britannica and "cramming" in case there was a test! If he happened to mention "outback" I needed to know that he wasn't talking about the yard behind the house. Fortunately for me, and for him as it turned out, I wasn't quizzed and life has been blissful for the two of us since.
ReplyDelete