Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Am a Knitter - My "Works in Progress"

The blogosphere is an entity unto itself.  Since I have been writing my blog, I find myself visiting other blogs that cater to my interests and it is fascinating to watch the trends that develop.  I love to read so I go to blogs that feature book reviews. Here readers challenge themselves and others to do various things like read books of certain themes or a specific number of books in a year.  I love to cook so I go to blogs that feature recipes and find myself reading about themes like "Meatless Mondays."  I love to garden so I go to blogs that feature gardening and watch various bloggers weekly list the fruits (or vegetables) of their labors in their "Monday Morning Harvests." 

And...I love to knit so I go to blogs that feature knitting patterns and techniques and I discovered "WIPs Wednesdays."  WIP is an acronym for Works in Progress.  I love the idea. In years past, I have done one knitting project at a time.  When it was finished I felt a sense of accomplishment, patted myself on the back, and looked for the next project to begin.  The item was not given recognition until it was DONE and the "work in progress" was just a reminder that I had better get working on it.  But once the knitting bug has truly infected your being, you can become a victim of a condition called "start-itis" and find that you have several projects sitting in various stages of completion, some languishing, on different sets of needles. 

On WIPs Wednesdays, knitters pay homage to their works in progress...giving them the recognition they are due as they are progressing and maybe getting a nudge in the direction of completion.

I have three WIPs at the current time:

One is something I am making for myself.  I had the huge cone of white cotton knitting yarn left over from a project a few years ago. When I stumbled upon the picture of this Patchwork Vest on the Lion Brand Yarn website I decided it would be a perfect way to use this yarn.  I have the back and two sides done and I have woven in the shoulders. All I have left to do is pick up the stitches around the sleeves and border and knit in the border with button holes and seam the sides!



The second item is a pair of Mitt Envy fingerless gloves that I am making for a Christmas gift.  I have already made 4 pair of these and I am proud of myself because I have learned to use the Magic Loop method for knitting something small in the round.  Trying to use sets of double point needles to do this makes me feel like I am wrestling a procupine, so I like the Magic Loop Method.



The third item is also a gift...the recipient must remain nameless at this time, but it is a hat and scarf set being knit in a double diamond pattern and in a Berroco yarn that makes you want to just fall into it and sleep.


Lastly, I have this skein for yarn that is staring at me...waiting to be cast on to some needles for another colorful Baby Surprise Jacket for some yet unknown infant.
 

I did finish a project in time for my daughter-in-love's birthday.  Here is a picture of Milli modeling the finished project...the Shalom Sweater.


Knitting is a hobby that adds much to my life...it is meditative helping me unwind and get focused on just the yarn in my hands...emptying my mind of the worries I might tend to mull over.  It keeps my hands busy as Jay and I watch TV in the evening so I don't reach for a snack.  It provides a connection between me and the person who will receive the item, with a little love wrapped into every stitch.  And it teaches me to find value and satisfaction in the process of knitting the item as well as in the finished product.

7 comments:

  1. Eloquent! I do love reading your prose, I can imagine your voice reading it aloud...
    Congrats on allowing startitis to infect your knitting life. Having a few things OTN makes for knitting less frustrating for me because when I get stuck or feel too tired to follow more difficult directions, I can go to the simple knit project and still accomplish something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Patricia. Although I can knit, I prefer to crochet or sew. Creating something with your hands is definitely meditative. When my children were small, I would crochet or hand quilt in the wee hours of the morning and in the evening after dinner. I think that I should start doing it in the evenings again when we are watching TV. Maybe it will keep ME from reaching for a snack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your work in progress knitting projects. Knitting garments to give as gifts must be very satisfying. The Shalom Sweater is a beautiful fashion item.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't knit but I have taken up crocheting after many long years. I had to reteach myself.

    I have that Shalom sweater vest in the same shade. My daughter knit it for me. She has a photo of it among her other projects here: http://greensandjeans.com/crafts/knitting/
    You may get some ideas from her or another blog to follow.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I do admire you. I can't knit to save my life! I love that sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I can see the big knit bug has bitten you! Do you remember in the '60s the yarn called Scandia Yarn? You knitted on #13 needles (I think) and made bulky sweaters. I made sweaters for all the men in the family which worked great in the Northwest. My poor dad nearly suffocated in his red bulky sweater in San Pedro. I think the only time he wore it was to Portuguese Bend beach one evening. He looked handsome though. I have made afghans, slippers (1960s), baby blankets and those nitzy scarves that you see in galleries. If I made sweaters for my grandchildren, they would wind up in the bottom of the closet or the toy box and I would sob. I use my needles as back scratchers now. The bug has left. The men in the family can breathe now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your knitting is lovely, i've had the shalom queued for months. i feel the same as you and find knitting is so much a part of my life. you might like to join in the weekly yarn along at 'simple things'. there is a link at the end of my post. it's really so much fun and always inspiring. (i would add the link in here but i can't remember how to do in on this ipad).
    xo lori

    ReplyDelete