After 5 weeks faces start to become familiar. Residents sit in the hallways, facing out to whomever walks by, their eyes watching to see...Will someone notice me? Will someone speak to me? A simple "Hello" or "Good Morning" lights up a face and after a while, they will smile first as we walk by and speak to us.
While outside on the patio I try to start up conversations with the other residents so Mom will learn to put some names with the faces and get involved in some social interaction. We have met Frank and Dorothy, a married couple who are short-term residents. One is recovering from surgery and the other from a stroke he sustained while his wife was in the hospital for the surgery. They do not share a room since men and women are in separate rooms but they sit together on the patio. We have met Julianne, a feisty Latina woman, who is a recovering from back surgery. We have met Jack, a long-term resident who reads daily...the Economist or the Foreign Affairs magazine.
Sometimes we get a glimpse of their former lives. We have Eric, a former classical singer, who at the drop of a hat with begin to sing his favorite songs...especially "Old Man River" from the musical "Showboat"...in his deep, rich, strong bass voice. We talk to Mr. Duffy, a former WWII veteran who served in Germany and who says he doesn't know why they won't let him have more than a small plastic cup of his red wine in the evening. One thing they all have in common is that they would rather be home.
I look at these people and wonder where my life's path will take me. I am sure none of them imagined they would one day be residents here. The care they receive is very good and the staff is compassionate and friendly. But our human needs for connection are so core to our well-being and when we are vulnerable the need for acknowledgement seems to scream out. The gift to me in this is that I am learning to pay attention more...to get out of my own head and see those around me. I am drawn to the residents and in the process I feel more in touch with others. I feel a rush of compassion spring from my own heart and that feeling of actually "being more human" is a gift to ME!
After a couple of hours, I walk briskly back to my parked car, aware that my body continues to be reliable and is still doing it's job, and I whisper a "Thank you" to it. When I leave, I take my concerns for my mother home with me...but I also take the faces of the others. And in my head the refrain of Eric's song is echoing in my mind:
"But I am weary, and sick of tryin',
I'm tired of livin', but scared of dyin',
that Ol Man River, he just keeps rollin' along..."

Patricia - I was very moved by your commentary. You are doing a world of good for your mom and for the others you speak to there.
ReplyDeleteOh,yes!
ReplyDeleteWe can't predict what and how we will end up. We can only hope to have relatives and friends stop by and inquire, take an interest in our lives, help us pass the time.
Patricia - continuing to think of you. May you receive the strength you need as you care for your mother. I'm sure the other residents at the Health Care Centre appreciate your interest as you speak to them.
ReplyDeleteYes,one moment and your life can change forever, so we must be thankful for what we have.
ReplyDeleteIt is snowing here so I am enjoying staying warm and catching up with all my blogging friends. I hope your mother is continuing to make progress Patricia, I can empathise with you as have been through similar situations with both my parents and my mother in law. Take Care.
ReplyDeleteHope your days are softer, and calmer. Hope your love and dedication stay strong. Thinking of you, sending you hugs and blessings.
ReplyDelete