Saturday, July 21, 2012

I Am A Grandmother - Sharing In Gabriel's Life

I live about 12 miles away from my grandson, Gabriel.  Not close enough for him to run over to my house after school but close enough for me to pick him up from school, take him to summer camp, go to his hockey games, help him with his homework, attend special award ceremonies at his school and have him for "sleep-overs." 

Gabriel is 11, still young enough to find life full of excitement and wonder, and his presence in my life exposes me to that joy as well.

He is on summer vacation right now and this week I have been with him a few times.  I picked him up at the park when he finished his day filled with water games at Summer Camp

Getting his water toy at Summer Camp
Gabe with a classmate.
and I dropped him off at the Sea Labs for his last camp field trip.  On the way to the Sea Lab he buckles himself into the front seat of my car, elated that he is now big enough to legally ride shot-gun, and proceeds to tell me he has something great to share with me.

"Mima, guess what!  I have some great news to tell you about Saturday!"

"Really, what is that?"

"You know how you are going to come to my hockey game?" (This is not really a question.  It is a stated fact...there is NO DOUBT in his mind that Jay and I will be there in our seats to watch him play hockey.)

"Yes, we will be there at 4:45 pm."

"Well, you GET to stay for TWO games! I have been invited to play in a tournament with a TRAVEL TEAM!" (He watches for the happy surprise on my face!)

"Really!  That is wonderful....but, if we are there for two games at that time of the day, what are we going to do about dinner?"

"Oh, Mima...that is not a problem.  They have the BEST hamburgers at the Sports Center and they come with FRENCH FRIES!"

How do I keep the tears from my eyes as I revel in his joy of life?  How do I capture that excitement and wonder?  How do I hold on to the image of the innocence and trust I see in his eyes, certain that I am as excited about this as he is?  Well, I write a blog about it!

A couple of days ago I was walking with a close friend and she commented to me that her grandchildren were coming from a distance to spend time with her and she said she was really looking forward to their visit.  But she reminded me that I am fortunate because I get more than occasional visits...I really get to participate in my grandson's life.  She is right...I do...and I am grateful.

At Gabe's 11th Birthday Dinner
Thank you, Gabriel, for this gift, for allowing me to experience your excitement in this adventure we call life!   Unless we become as little children....

8 comments:

  1. Those are sweet moments, when your grandson shared his excitement about playing two games, and trusting you two would be there. And all the other moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Patricia, I am here through Ellen's blog. Your 'buon compleanno' got my interest and I have been following your traces to your blog (that I find very entertaining).
    My son lives in Playa del Rey, at the moment, so I feel connected, in some ways!
    Lovely feelings about your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat to have these special times with your grandson. So looking forward to that day when I'll have a grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH yes, you and he are most lucky to share such moments. My grandchild (her friend and later her mom) spent three weeks with us, traveling in Oregon and Washington. Such visits are priceless. Yours, are ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you and your husband we're so blessed to be able to share in such precious moments with grandchildren and enjoy their zest for life at all stages of their development.
    They grow up and go away to college etc. but, in my experience, they keep in touch, come for visits and never forget the early years shared with Nonno and Nonna. I'm so thankful that we have stayed healthy and have been able to experience this joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabriel obviously has a great time with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is wonderful that you are close enough to be able to share such moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so looking forward to having grandchildren. My husband and I got off to a late start having children because...well, I just couldn't get pregnant. We finally solved that problem but I was older when they came along so here I am, late at having grandchildren. I guess anticipation is half the excitement. ??
    You are fortunate to have time with your chidrens' kids. One of our sons is getting married next month and his (new) wife is eager to have kids. Thank goodness. So glad you are enjoying yours!

    ReplyDelete