Sunday, July 8, 2012

I Am A Mom - Cooking For an Adopted Son

One of the rewards of having 3 sons is that through the growing-up years, as well as stray dogs like Scamp and Sundance, friends also followed them into the house.  These "other-people's children" would lie on the floor watching TV, crowd the bedroom while listening to loud rock music, grab an extra plate and join us at the dinner table and occasionally stand in my kitchen and share with me the events of their lives.  Over time, a surrogate mother-son relationship would develop, and I found myself loving them, caring about them, worrying over them and cheering for them...just as I did the three boys I birthed!  Those young men have formed a connection as strong as an umbilical cord and my life is enriched when I continue to interact with them in their adult lives.

I had such a event yesterday.  One of my adopted sons, Michael Harris, is getting married to a delightful young woman next month.  Through the years he has waited for that "special someone" who would light up his world and love him for who he was!  His patience has paid off and when I see him with Michelle, I can almost touch the joy that surrounds them.

Michael and Michelle
My son, Michael Altieri, is his best friend and will stand as his best man at the wedding.  Last evening was the traditional male rite of passage...The Bachelor Party...that was organized by "the best man!"  When he had his own bachelor party, before the guys left for the night of "who knows what!" I prepared a substantial meal for them...pasta, meatballs, salad and garlic bread.  Whatever they were going to do, they would not do on a empty stomach.  Remembering that, I offered to do the same for Michael.

The group gathered in the Altieri's back yard for the dinner and some socializing  before heading out for a night on the town.
Michael Harris, serving himself pasta; Michael Altieri smiling at the camera!
I had two wonderful assistants...my friend, Cindy, who has wonderful knife skills,


and my personal favorite sous-chef, Jay...wearing his FBI apron!


The food disappeared in no time and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Michael's dad, brother-in-law and brother on the right.


Gabriel, who is Michael's godson, served the dessert with his mom, Milli...while learning how to become a man by watching all the activities.


Gabe is also one of the groomsmen in the wedding!

Gabe and godfather, Michael, doing the knuckle-knock!
Finally, the chartered bus/limo arrived to get the guys safely to wherever they were going...it seemed to be a state secret...and then safely home.


After doing the dishes I returned home tired but happy.  My heart felt full.  As the time of my own life passes I am continually reminded of how precious and fragile life is...that the beauty of this life is just being present in the moment and truly experiencing and appreciating the connections that are available to me.

Michael...Thank you for sharing your life with me.  I wish you and Michelle a lifetime of happiness.  Know that you are loved by your adopted mom.


4 comments:

  1. Patricia, you are a true 'Italian Mamma' to your own and extended family. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a warm and fuzzy post! Yes, indeed, you are a lovely Mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely that you were able to do this for your son's friend. I wish him and his future wife all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely occasion. I hope the couple will be very happy.

    ReplyDelete