There are many rites of passage that signal a new stage along life's journey. When I was a sophomore in high school, I could not wait until I celebrated my 16th birthday and was old enough to apply for my very first driver's license. Having my birthday in February meant that I was the oldest of my high school clique of girlfriends and the first to have that magic piece of paper in my wallet. In those days, there were not restrictions on newly licensed teenagers. I had my license and I owned the road...at least whenever my parents would allow me to use the family's only car...the 1955 brown Chevy station wagon...as long as I replaced the 55 cents worth of gasoline that I used. While it was not a "cool" car, it served its purpose and transported me and my friends to movies, to high school dances and even to an occasional clandestine trip to Hollywood to live on the wild side!
Well, I am still the older of many of my old high school friends and today I experienced another rite of passage. I am probably the first of them to have to "re-take" the written test to renew my driver's license. After years of being able to just fill out the paperwork, write a check, and drop both pieces of paper into the mail to receive my renewed license, this time, since I had passed that magic age of 70, I had to appear in person at the DMV for a vision test and a written exam.
Spending time at the DMV is always a cultural experience and I learn much for observing the sea of humanity swarming around me.
Jay was a trooper and went with me and even with an advanced appointment, it took almost two hours to complete this simple task.
Somehow, I did not have the same sense of excitement as I left the building, my temporary paper license in hand to serve until the new one, with the more "mature" picture, arrives in the mail. I did feel some low level anxiety as I approached the appointment and the tests. Having a license and being able to drive continues to give a sense of independence and control over life. I recall how proud my mother was of her driving ability. In fact, at age 95, on the day we rushed her to the hospital for her emergency surgery, one thing she regretted was that she missed her appointment that same day for her behind-the-wheel driving test needed to renew her license. Even though she didn't drive much, still being able to was important to her. So what did I feel? I guess some relief that it was done and I was successful and maybe also a little pride. After all...not only did I pass but I did it with flying colors! There is still a child inside each of us, no matter what the date of birth on the driver's license says!



Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteVery impressive!
I had to retake my Oregon written test and still when I passed, it was just barely. Darn!
hello again! --- had no idea you are an Aquarius too! --- GOSH, had to pass that same CA DMV written & eye test at 73 -also last month --
ReplyDeleteI decided to finally plan on ACING this test and future ones by creating and studying a flashcard set (frankly, I can't get a perfect score like you unless I really study that 100+ page booklet!)
Betcha you never heard of the "Move Over" Law (Marilyn talked her way out of a ticket recently!)???
Last time i failed by one question, passing the test only by telling the nice lady that I didn't study but am always VERY courteous & conservative in driving (hahaha) - years earlier I had memorized the eye test letters so I could pass that part easily - now they take a picture without glasses (bummer)! - this affects my newly-found-bearded professorial look....!
NOW, no time for messing any more - my Mom had vascular dementia and couldn't pass the written exam at 80 (fortunately (!)or unfortunately(!)when 80 (as her driving was dangerous & truly exasperated me)
So, my plan was to create a special BIG flashcard study set so I no longer have to worry about tests over the years - until....
The lady this time gave me a BIG SMILEY on my test - the only perfect score in Palmdale/Lancaster that day! -- Without practicing with flashcards I'd be in a "bit of trouble". (Smiley)
Wow, that Jay is really a gift to accompany you! By making an appointment it took me 30 minutes.
Al, in sunniest High Desert Palmdale (hi to Jay)