One of my happiest roles in my life is that of
grandmother. I resonate with the person
who once said…”If I had known grandchildren would bring me such I joy, I would
have had them first!” And now, I get to
be one again!!
A couple of months ago
Marc and Charlotte told me they were having a baby. It is their first child and my third grandchild
and I am sooo very excited!
![]() |
| Marc and Charlotte at the Dr.'s office...can you tell they are excited! |
Technology has changed greatly since my first grandson was
born in 1986. We did not his sex until his birth when his dad came out of the
delivery-room high-fiving his brothers while shouting, “It’s a boy!” We learned the sex of this new baby when he
was just 20 weeks old, when the technician wielding the ultrasound wand over
Charlotte’s baby bump said…”There IT is!”
![]() |
| The 20 week ultrasound of Gino, including a 3 D of his little face...amazing! |
My special joy was that Marc and Charlotte invited ME to go
to this appointment with them to “share the moment!” They received the news first privately and
then invited me into the examination room to meet Gino!
![]() |
| Hi Gino...I am your grandmother, Mima! |
![]() |
| Nikolas Arthur Altieri |
Then just when he had a become a full-fledged independent
teenager, Gabriel was born and fitted nicely into my empty arms.
![]() |
| Gabriel Michael Altieri |
Now, Gabriel has just turned 13 and is a teenager, a fact which
he reminds me of every time I see him.
So the time is right and I am ready and waiting for Gino!
So how does one prepare for a new grandson? Well, first of all I started knitting! Items are accumulating and I am spending
hours going through baby pattern books.
![]() |
| So far...two blankets, bootie socks, and a Royal Blue Newborn Cocoon! |
Secondly, I have to have a place for his extra clothes and
toys. Gabriel still has “his” drawer and
“his shelf” at our house! So I need to find a place that is just for Gino!
But most importantly, I have to prepare the rocker! This rocker was purchased when I was
expecting my first child. It has rocked
Joey, Michael, Marc, Nikolas, and Gabriel. I have so many memories of holding little
bodies against me while softly singing songs from Burl Ives or Winnie the
Pooh. Or of holding a baby in the middle of the night
while everyone slept except for this wide-eyed little one, of looking out the at the moon-lit sky and feeling like we were the only
two beings on the earth.
Over the years the rocker, like the grandmother, has
aged! It has developed a distinctive
creak that Marc swears, if he closes his eyes when he hears it, he has the
sensation of being rocked! It has also
developed a build-up of wax that has made the seat and armrests a little
sticky. So this weekend Jay and I worked
at removing the excess wax and smoothing the wood. We could refinish it but somehow I like the
weathered, aged look of this family relic.
I think it is ready for Gino.
I love being a grandmother.
When a grandchild arrives at my house, the rest of the world stops and I
can welcome him as if I had been waiting all day, all my life, just to see
him. It is an easy role. I don’t have to do anything to be a grandmother. I just have to “BE.” It isn’t a job description; it is a state of
being. There is an Italian saying that
says… “If nothing is going well, call your grandmother” and it is my joy to be
that person!
So to little Gino Bossie Altieri I say...
“You are the child
of my child, and your life is a joy to me!
I am ready to welcome you into my arms and my life…you are already in my
heart!”








I just got done drying my eyes mom. This is awesome, and like you, such a wonderful gift. You simply add to the joy and excitement we are experiencing about our Gino! Thank you so much, and I love you!
ReplyDeleteThis was wonderful Mom! Some of my strongest, oldest memories are of you rocking me in that chair...and I know the "creak". That sound is music to my ears, and, like Marky Sparky, teleports me instantly to one of those moonlit nights, where you and I were the only two people on Earth. I love you!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun to hear about your excitement and preparations for this little one!! As a grandmother of two teenagers who tower over me, the opportunity to hug a little one sounds like pure joy.
ReplyDeleteYou must be very excited - congratulations!
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to that day myself! Congrats.
ReplyDeleteWhat exciting news and you are making great preparations like getting the rocker ready.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a beautiful story that goes along with the beautiful and much loved mom and Mima you are to "all" your boys. We are all so excited for Gino to make his entrance into our world. He is already so loved by all of us, especially his mommy and daddy; I know Marc and Charlotte will make wonderful parents. Congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteIt was a beautiful read !! Thanks for sharing !! Congrats again Marc & Charlotte
ReplyDelete