Life is a little different in a 55+ residential
community. We have lived at Palos Verdes Shores for almost
a year and a half and we love it. It is
quieter, safer, slower…and it all feels good.
When we pull into the PV Shores Community, we wave to the guard at the
gate and sigh… “HOME…We love living here!”
Just down from the gate is our Message Board, which reminds
us of the date (in case we forgot!), the time, the temperature and any notices
about upcoming events. It is like a
welcome home. One day I noticed a
person’s name listed on the board. I assumed it was welcoming a new resident
and when I remarked to a neighbor that I had never noticed that before and I
wondered why our name was not put up when we moved in her response was… “You
don’t want your name on the message board!
It is the park’s way of acknowledging the death of one of the residents."
In living at our paradise by the sea that is perfect for our
golden years, where we have constant reminders of the beauty and richness of
life, we are also reminded that it is fleeting and fragile. We will not be here forever so we should
gather our rosebuds while we may. Some
may find this depressing but for us, it seems to have the opposite effect. It gives us a deep sense of gratitude for
what we have NOW, for the health we experience NOW, for the people in our life
we love and enjoy NOW and we take each day as it comes, more willing to just
experience the moment and not worry too much about what may come.
Yes, there are moments of regret, moments of frustration,
moments of anger. I wonder “How did time
pass so quickly!” There are times of
nostalgia when wish I could have just a few more moments with my children as
little ones, that I could have just one more conversation with my mom or
dad. But they are few and far
between. Lately I seem reluctant to
waste precious minutes and energy in holding on to grudges, being annoyed.
The gift for me of life at a "certain age" is a
sense of freedom…liberation. Why does it
take so long to learn that you can put down that rock you are carrying…that is
weighing you down. It is not that
important in the grand scheme of things.
I am not being morbid.
I plan to be around for quite a while yet. What are the odds? My mother died at 95 years of age and I look
like her so maybe I have her genes as well! But I hope I can use these
years wisely and squeeze every bit of “life” out of them, remembering that life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
“Look….there is a whale’s
spout!”

:)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds an excellent place.
ReplyDeleteI share your thoughts on aging; it is a gift. I could imagine living in a community like you do, it sounds relaxing vs. our huge yard.
ReplyDelete