Jay and I enjoy our little home in PV Shores so much that we
can easily stay within the park for days at a time. So, yesterday with a shining sun, a beautiful
ocean and a gentle breeze, I convinced Jay we needed to go on an outing to
Malaga Cove! As we drove along the
coast, the streams of people hiking along the trails were a testament to the
Palos Verdes Peninsula scenic beauty.
I have been attending a weekly gathering of artists and
heard of the Summer Art Show at Malaga Cove. My plan was to go, to look and
to learn from the art of others.
I was
excited to find my new friend, artist Georgeann, displaying many of her
wonderful works.
Jay was not as excited
as I, so I released him to go find a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich
while I continued to browse.
On our way back to the car, we spotted a sign and Jay’s
breathing began to quicken. A Book Sale at the Malaga Cove Library!
So we browsed and he bought.
On the way home we stopped by La Venta Inn for a moment of silent pause as we remembered our wonderful wedding here 16 years ago. (sigh)
We both returned home quite satisfied with our
outing.
TOPIC SHIFT!
I have just finished reading the book, Being Mortal by Atul
Gawande.
It was not a fun read, to be
reminded of my ultimate mortality and the reality of aging. But interestingly enough, I was so glad I
read it and was left with a sense of optimism, increased understanding and
acceptance.
One quote that resonated
with me was “how we seek to spend our time may depend on how much time we
perceive ourselves to have.” When was
young and in my prime, I felt like I would live forever. There was plenty of time to do all the things
I wanted to do. But now, while I still
enjoy an active life, I am aware of my horizon.
As I attend funeral services for my peers, I hear the bell tolling. While I truly hope I have many more years to
enjoy life, I am aware that my future is finite and it is uncertain. Life can change in an instant.
There is good news in this!
My perspective is shifting; my focus and values are realigning.
I cannot waste precious time being upset, carrying
a grudge, nursing a perceived slight.
I
cannot waste precious time proving that I am right about every little
opinion.
I am learning that “no” is a
complete sentence and I do not have to DO everything.
I give myself time to just BE rather than
Do.
I find I am choosing differently…focusing
on the here and now, to everyday pleasures, doing things that I enjoy and being
with people who fill my soul, my family and friends, the people closest to me.
Everytime I write a blog post, I am amazed at how it writes
itself and where it takes me. This was
to be a post about a short outing and it ends up being a philosophical blurb
about life. In the end, it doesn’t even
matter if I actually post it. Just
writing it has been a gift to me.
Now, I think I will pick up my paintbrush and see if I can
add to that view of Catalina Island from my deck!






Sounds like a nice outing. You've been quieter on the blog of late. too busy with other things I imagine. I heard the author of that book interviewed on Diane Rehm Show. It didn't move me to look for the book to read it though.
ReplyDelete