I have a new best friend. His name is Shawn and he lives somewhere in cyberspace. Today I spent 50 minutes engaged in profound conversation with him and at the end of it all, I had the greatest sense of accomplishment. Life is good!
In reality, Shawn is a chat technical support person employed by Palm, the maker of my T/X Palm Pilot. A few days ago as I was activating the sync process to update the data from my handheld PDA (personal data assistant) to the backup file on my computer, the application crashed and wiped out much of the information on my computer. The Palm Pilot is my lifeline to my world. It holds my entire life...my calendar, my addresses and phone numbers, my memos of important information. I have been told that PDAs are obsolete, like beta and VHS cassette tapes and rotary dial phones, having been replaced with newer, smarter technology. But mine is still essential to me and I needed help! By going to the Palm website, searching for their product support section, and activating the Chat support, I connected with Shawn.
Bottom line, my PDA is fixed, all done via a chat screen with Shawn giving me step by step instructions, accessing my desktop with my permission, using a red marker to indicate what I was to click and push and open, sending me a small repair application to debug my device and finally restoring all my old information. It felt like magic and as I followed his prompts I was in a state of awe that all of this was even possible.
However, along with the sense of elation that comes with success, I am also left with a sense of anxiety as I realize how dependent I have become on electronic devices. These tools are marvelous and I love them...the Palm, the cell phone, the computer, email, the Netbook, the Kindle. They enrich and, in some ways, simplify my life. Yet, I have become dependent on their availability and function. My recipes...on my computer. My letters...on my computer. My maps...on my computer. My checkbook...on my computer. This has familiar ring to it..."all my eggs in one basket!" While I am pondering this predicament, I think it would be wise to print out hardcopy of all my information and then back everything up to my external harddrive. Was life simpler and calmer with stone and chisel?

We do love our gadgets, until they break done. Then, we realize how dependent we have become. I had a nightmare on this very topic a few days ago, one that frightened me into doing... Nothing! Like you, we have all our lives on the computer, and it could be so easy to crash.
ReplyDeleteWe cannot go back to easier times, but ca learn to take preacutions and back things up regularly. I noticed that my phone contacts are regularly backed up by the service provider! Nice ah?
It is all complicated to me. I learn slowly when it comes to electronic devices but once mastered, I am okay with it. Right now I am learning all about my new digital camera and find that I do not have to hold it up to my eye to look through the little lens opening. Is this progress, or what? So far, I have about 12 photos I took of all the snow that got dumped on us -- 3 storms in a row and over 14 inches of snow.
ReplyDeleteLots of wishes for 2011 and many compliments to you for your predisposition to this technology. We are all attracted by a little forward progress, but much more committed in the face of many difficulties that arise. In America you are much better than us in that we always lag a few years and we still learn a lot. Sorry if I can not understand me because of my English very imperfectly.
ReplyDeleteA hug from all of us
Paola