Thursday, December 9, 2010

I Am a Knitter - The Baby Surprise Jacket

My maternal grandmother first put a crochet hook in my hand around the age of 9 and taught me to crochet edging on a handkerchief.  Crocheting is a craft that Italian woman have handed down to daughters and granddaughters for generations. 
Sicilian women - photo by Jann Huizenga
Never having idle hands, they would gather together in courtyards and around kitchen tables, fingers flying as they crafted edges for pillowcases, doilies for furniture and even potholders, while they talked. My hope chest and those of my cousins were filled with these items. While I knew how, I didn't use the skill until I was older, but the appreciation of doing something useful with my hands and creating something unique was within me.

When I was expecting my first child, two dear friends taught me the basics of knitting.  I began to make what seemed to me to be more practical items such as sweaters, scarves, and afghans for my sons and other family members.
Grandson Nikolas - age 4
Over the years I have continued to find comfort, meditation, relaxation and accomplishment in knitting.

I recall a time when my young son was watching me knit and finally said..."Gosh Mom, you are making that out of a just a string!"  And it is true...a ball of yarn, a ball of string, a couple of needles and a pattern and the result can be a work of art.

Since we began using a DVR, enabling us to record TV shows to watch at a later time, our television watching has changed and increased.  To keep my hands busy so they aren't reaching for chips I like to have a knitting project at hand.  My friend, Monika, introduced me to the most clever pattern I have ever worked.  It is called the Baby Surprise Jacket and was designed by knitting guru, Elizabeth Zimmermann.  It is available from Schoolhouse Press or possibly a local yarn shop.  The pattern is worked all in one piece so there are no separate fronts, back and sleeves.

When it is finished, you just fold it in a unique manner and voila! you have a sweater that only needs the stitching of the shoulder to be complete.

Once the seams are sewn, add buttons, maybe an edging or a collar and it is done!

Once I mastered the pattern, it became a mindless task and I am able to complete one very quickly.  As with every new interest, once it hit my radar screen, I discovered a veritable underground of Baby Surprise Jacket knitters throughout the world who communicate through discussion lists, youtube videos, knitting websites like Ravelry.com and forums...all sharing their ideas for this pattern.

One problem I have is that in this chapter of my life, I know very few people who are expecting babies or have little ones who could use a sweater.  So, I knit for charity and donate my sweaters to various groups that give the items to mothers in need.  This latest one is going to my cousin, Dee, in Ohio who participates in such an organization.  What I love most is that as I am knitting any item, I am thinking of the recipient, so my thoughts, hopes and dreams for them, my love of them gets entwined in the stitches and becomes more than just a garment but a gift of self and a connection to a heart that I value!

2 comments:

  1. I think doing your knitting for charity is very admirable.
    I do not knit, crochet or sew, that gene completely missed me and I really hated needlework lessons and our Italian teacher did not like me as I was so hopeless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara Patricia , che bello trovarti qui, anch'io ho un blog nel quale condivido la mia passione , il patchwork . Ho già dato uno sguardo e ho capito che il tuo cuore è spesso in Sicilia e batte nel ricordare che le tue origini sono li .
    Dovrò applicarmi molto per imparare un pò l'inglese perchè mi è difficile capire senza l'aiuto di google .
    Complimenti per tutti i tuoi lavori e per essere così attiva e instancabile , ciò ti fa onore .
    Verrò spesso a trovarti, quindi arrivederci a presto
    Paola moglie di Gianni

    ReplyDelete