Sunny California lived up to her name yesterday. The sun was shining, the air was clear and I spent two hours working in the garden. This winter has been a wet one and while that has many benefits for us who live in this desert paradise, "enough is enough" and the sun was welcomed with open arms.
Gardening is a pleasure I learned to enjoy since being retired. I have the time and the inclination and it is the most therapeutic activity I could ask for. Hands in the dirt, identifying weeds, listening to birds, feeling the sun and breeze, all keep me rooted (pun intended) in the moment. I have also learned over the years to pay attention and benefit from the life cycle of my plants. I have been "allowing" my plants to go to seed, then saving the seed for next season's planting.
One plant that has been so generous to me is the leek. If you enjoy cooking from scratch, especially soups, then you know the leek is your friend! Last year I planted leeks on the front slope of my yard. A slow growing member of the allium family, the leeks began as slender blades and grew to become the most graceful grayish-green plant in my landscape.
I let some go to seed and they formed wonderful seed head bulbs, reminiscent of Turkish minarets.
Then they grew into bulbs of white and rose colors. Neighbors stopped to ask what they were.
As they matured, they erupted into tiny little flowers that formed tiny black seeds, like grains of pepper.
Once opened, I dried and captured the seeds and saved them until it was time to plant them.
In November I scattered the seeds in a large pot and waited to see if they would germinate. Oh wonder of nature...they did not disappoint. I was amazed to see what popped up.
Yesterday I spent time transplanting them throughout my yard. I had so many that I shared them with two neighbors, and two friends across town. I am taking some to class tomorrow and some to plant at my son's home.
I love a bargain and the idea of getting new plants from old ones excites me. We have a local group of organic gardeners that hosts an annual seed swap where members brings recycled envelopes and old prescription containers filled with seeds they saved and are eager to share.
I appreciate the lessons that nature teaches me. Maybe it is because I am a woman of a "certain age," but the phrase "going to seed" has new meaning for me now. Instead of seeing it as a reference to entering that time of life when usefulness ends, a time of decline in looks and status, often due to age or lack of care, I now see it as a time of giving, a time of opportunity to pass on the richness and value of my being...just like my leek seeds!





Ciao, All the best for 2011.
ReplyDeleteI am back at last catching up on all the posts I missed while I was away from computing. I noticed a lot of Italian influence in your recent posts. You certainly have plenty of books to chose from for the challenge. Also a belated Congratulations on your recent Wedding Anniversary.
I look forward to continue being a part of your virtual blogging community this year.
Oh and by the way, we are also seed hoarders and have both ornamental and edible leeks in our garden :)
How I wish I lived in an area where you could garden all year round! Alas, I am in the middle south with its psuedo winters and occasional ice storm. But spring is but six weeks away! I am going to enjoy your jnl!
ReplyDeleteMary
@Linda - thanks for stopping by...nice to have you back in cyberspace! I didn't know there were ornamental leeks. Yes, Italian influence. All 4 grandparents were Italian immigrants. You can the girl out of Italy but you can't take Italy out of the girl. :-)
ReplyDelete@Mary - thanks for the comment, I checked out your blogs...you are a true veteran blogger. I grew up in Ohio so I know the excitement of waiting for Spring!
Ah, yes, saving seeds and being rewarded with lovely new plants. Your last statement: precious!
ReplyDeleteLovely blooms of your leek. I really appreciate your last paragraph, its very true indeed! Its time to give and pass on life richness..
ReplyDeleteOh how wonderful that your leek have gifted you back with so many new offspring. It does look like a Turkey minaret and pretty purple too. What a coincidance my leek also has start to flower but mine are white. This is the first time, I let them bolt. Thank you for sharing your moment with the leek life-cycle. I wonder if we have the same climate. In Australia, our region is said to be temperate climate. Thank you for linking this post for 'Seed Week'.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful seed saving post -- your leek success amazes me! I tried them from seed once but started them too late in the season. My only harvests have come from when I buy sets. Now I am inspired to try it again!
ReplyDeleteAppalachian Feet - It was my first attempt and it worked well. I took the time to shake all the seeds from the little pods and ended up with a container of little black seeds. Friends just cut of the seed heads and drop them in a paper bag to save until planting time, when they just crush the seed head and let the seeds fall where they may!
ReplyDelete