This time of my life is filled with choices. Each day I assume various roles and through my choices, experience a richness of living. This blog is for me, to capture my life!
Monday, February 7, 2011
I Am a Gardener - Growing Fava Beans
I discovered fava beans about 3 years ago. My family had never eaten them, but at a gardening class I learned that they are a wonderful crop for replenishing your soil with nitrogen, especially after a productive summer garden. So that year, in late November, while I was deciding what winter vegetables to plant, I stuck a few fava beans in the soil to see what would happen. Little did I know that it would be the beginning of my love affair with this ancient legume. I think the fava bean is the plant that is referenced in the story, Jack and the Beanstalk because this plant is LARGE. It take a couple of months to get going but once it starts it is magnificent.
It creates large bean pods that protrude from the sides of the stalks so it looks almost like a ladder. When the pods become shiny and the beans obviously defined, they are ready to harvest.
Ripe fava bean pods - 2009
To prepare them for cooking is a bit of a process but the resulting taste is worth the effort. The pods need to be opened and inside, nestled in nature's own bubblewrap, are 4 to five beans.
Gabriel harvesting fava beans 2009
2009 - shelling the fava beans
Fava beans ready to be blanched and skinned
These beans then need to be blanched in boiling water, plunged into ice water, and the protective skin removed. You are left with a delicate, vivid green bean. I have used these beans to make a nice topping for crostini or a delicate pureed soup.
Today I noticed that my beans are beginning to create blossoms and will not be ready to harvest for a while but some additional facts I have learned about these beans permit me to begin to enjoy them now.
2011 - Fava bean blossoms, ready to remove tips.
You are advised to clip off the tip when the plant reaches about 2 1/2 feet, so the energy of the plant goes into producing pods, and last year I tossed those tips into the compost. This year I learned that the tips as well as the leaves are edible.
Fava bean tips
So, today, when I removed some tips, I sauteed/braised them and then created a fava leaf fritatta.
Fava bean tips sauteed with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper
Fritatta of sauteed fava bean tips, egg, feta cheese.
Fresh tender leaves can also be added to salads.
Some interesting facts about the bean: Fava beans, or Broad Beans as they are called in some parts of the world, are one of the most ancient plants in cultivation. They became part of the Mediterranean diet as far back as 6000 BCE or earlier. I have read that some people with Parkinson's Disease, eat them, under a doctor's direction, because the beans are rich in L-dopa, a substance used to treat the condition. Other, with a genetic predisposition to hemolytic anemia cannot eat the bean because it can cause a potentially fatal condition called "favism" after the bean.
Fava beans became famous after Anthony Hopkins mentioned them in a famous scene from the movie Silence of the Lambs. "So I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti!"
Well I was right with ya until the Hannibal Lecter clip! I enjoy fava beans but did not know that the tips were edible as well. Learn something new every day!
In Australia, there are commonly known as broad beans. I was thinking of growing them this winter but I have to see whether we have space for it. Thats wonderful that the tips are edible same as snow peas.
kitsapFG ~ I know the video is a little disconcerting but I find it interesting that whenever I mention fava beans the first thing anyone says back to me is..."like Hannibal Lector!"
Malay-Kadazan ~ They do take up some space...some just grow them as a green manure and once they reach a couple of inches, they turn them under into the soil. They can be grown close together.
I can't believe I haven't grown them in the past... guess there is only so much room in the garden. But, the seeds are on my desk as I type, and I'm anxious to plant them this year for the first time.
We call these broad beans in the UK as well. Since living in Italy we have learnt a new way of eating them though. Young beans, podded and eaten fresh and raw with shavings of pecorino cheese. Simply delicious and a treat to look forward to every fava season.
Ciao Patricia , buone le fave !!! Da noi ci sono tanti piatti prelibati e le mangiamo anche secche , dopo averle fatte ammorbidire nell'acqua per una notte . E' vero che in molti non le possono mangiare perchè affetti dal favismo , anche il solo odore può fare molto male . Vedo che ti piace la cucina mediterranea !!! Complimenti per il nipotino e per l'angolo accogliente della tua casa .
They have now become popular among gardeners as a cover crop, growing well through winter months and then tilled in the dirt. I love them, and can never have enough.
Paola ~ Benvenuta cugina! Si, mi piace molto la cucina mediterranea.
Rosaria ~ I have read of people turning the plants under when they reach about 4 inches. That would break my heart, my soil has to wait until the leavings get added to the compost bin!
Well I was right with ya until the Hannibal Lecter clip! I enjoy fava beans but did not know that the tips were edible as well. Learn something new every day!
ReplyDeleteIn Australia, there are commonly known as broad beans. I was thinking of growing them this winter but I have to see whether we have space for it. Thats wonderful that the tips are edible same as snow peas.
ReplyDeletekitsapFG ~ I know the video is a little disconcerting but I find it interesting that whenever I mention fava beans the first thing anyone says back to me is..."like Hannibal Lector!"
ReplyDeleteMalay-Kadazan ~ They do take up some space...some just grow them as a green manure and once they reach a couple of inches, they turn them under into the soil. They can be grown close together.
I ordered some fava seed for the first time this year. I've never grown them but so many do. I figured I'd have to give them a try.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I haven't grown them in the past... guess there is only so much room in the garden. But, the seeds are on my desk as I type, and I'm anxious to plant them this year for the first time.
ReplyDeleteDaphne and Diana ~ Please let us know what you think after you have grown them! Especially if you come across some good recipes for them.
ReplyDeleteWe call these broad beans in the UK as well. Since living in Italy we have learnt a new way of eating them though. Young beans, podded and eaten fresh and raw with shavings of pecorino cheese. Simply delicious and a treat to look forward to every fava season.
ReplyDeleteCiao Patricia ,
ReplyDeletebuone le fave !!! Da noi ci sono tanti piatti prelibati e le mangiamo anche secche , dopo averle fatte ammorbidire nell'acqua per una notte .
E' vero che in molti non le possono mangiare perchè affetti dal favismo , anche il solo odore può fare molto male .
Vedo che ti piace la cucina mediterranea !!!
Complimenti per il nipotino e per l'angolo accogliente della tua casa .
They have now become popular among gardeners as a cover crop, growing well through winter months and then tilled in the dirt. I love them, and can never have enough.
ReplyDeleteLinda ~ Sounds wonderful, I will try it.
ReplyDeletePaola ~ Benvenuta cugina! Si, mi piace molto la cucina mediterranea.
Rosaria ~ I have read of people turning the plants under when they reach about 4 inches. That would break my heart, my soil has to wait until the leavings get added to the compost bin!