Friday, February 11, 2011

I Am a Woman of a "Certain Age" - Honoring My Body

Today I attended the Thursday noontime yoga class at the local YMCA.  It is not power yoga...but a gentler version focusing on breathing, mindfulness and basic yoga postures.  I have been practicing yoga for a number of years and each time I attend a class, I come away more centered and feeling more vital.  Today Denise led us through the floor postures as we lay on our mats, telling us to bring right knee to chest, wrap hands around it, drawing it in, extend left leg and flex left foot. I marveled at how obedient my body was to my requests.  Even as it ages, it continues to follow my instruction as best it can.  I felt a tremendous appreciation for how my body has carried me through life and asked so little of me in return.

From the time I was a child and taking tap dancing lessons at the Franklin School of Dance in Kent, Ohio, my body has performed in the ways I have asked it.
The Dancing Dolls - Patsy, Patricia, and Carolyn
I was never drawn to sports and was a bit of a klutz in high school.  I always played right field in PE softball games and could never execute an overhand serve in volleyball.  But I was the Drill Team leader
Marymount High School Drill Team - Patricia,Drill Teal leader in the center
and I loved to dance swing at high school dances, even if it was usually with my brother, Chuck!

Later in life, my body made it possible for me to bear three children and to have a fairly easy experience of childbirth.  And in my retirement years I am still able to dance the tango, run up the 14 steps to my front door, bend down to weed my garden and tend my vegetables, take walks through the neighborhood with my husband. My fingers work well when I want to knit an item, dice a potato, knead some pasta dough, or caress my husband's face.

My sister, Cathy, was born with Cerebral Palsy.   She has never known the freedom of having a body that obeys your least command.  She has struggled to do the simple things that I am able to do without a conscious thought...to hold a spoon or put on an article of clothing.  Each action takes such effort and concentration to execute. I am fortunate.
Cathy Rinaldi Swart - 2008
As I am aging, I see that my body is not as prime as it used to be.  My skin is a bit "crepey." I have some age spots.  There is arthritis in one of my fingers that hurts periodically.  The dentist tells me I have some small fractures in my teeth.  In a week I will have a cataract removed from one of my eyes.  I receive email jokes from friends about the desire to be able to recycle body parts.  Yet, as I near my 69th birthday, I am grateful for this body that has served me so well.  I love its wrinkles and honor its aging.  And while I am not ready to discard the products that keep my hair a rich dark brown color, I do not disparage the passing years.

So today I feel a commitment to do well by my body...to feed it nutritious food, to drink lots of water, to exercise it regularly and to rest it if it is tired...basically, to treat it with respect.  And the next time I take a shower and rub my body lotion on my legs and arms, I will do so lovingly and with true appreciation...honoring how loyal it has been to me through the years.

7 comments:

  1. Growing old as gracefully and as healthily as possible whilst being grateful for what we have, a good mantra to live by. Great post Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I say how much I hate you??!!! Just kidding, of course. My body, like my children, does not obey me very well. I try but in many cases it fails me. I go to the fitness center to "do my thing" and wind up with sore knees, "butt lock" ( a form of sciatica) and a host of other aches. However, I keep on keepin' on and hope to work through it all. As for cataracts, be careful what you wish for! I had one done and was shocked at how my eye sight improved and I was able to see things that I didn't want to see. E.g. I noticed that my body is falling, starting with my eyelids. I have forbidden my husband to have cataract surgery unless he wants to find me cowering in the closet! You do give me inspiration, Pat.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect post for Valentine: Love thyself, take care of your body, stretch and move and keep it supple and working right. WE are in charge but we forget these things and blame old age for failures. Let's keep working every part as long as we are alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a ewonderful, positive post and I love the photos. Thank you for making my night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'è un detto latino che dice " mens sana in corpore sano " e fa bene chi come te cura nel rispetto sia il corpo che la mente . I disturbi ci sono perchè arrivano con l'età , ma è bene tenerli sotto controllo e fare in modo che non peggiorino . Le rughe è meglio tenersele , ma qualche accorgimento che le attenui non guasta , così anche per i capelli . Bel post Patricia !!!
    Buon S. Valentino
    Paola

    ReplyDelete
  6. LindyLouMac ~ Thanks for the comment...I see this same philosophy reflected on your blog!

    Linda ~Thanks for the laugh...I love your spirit!

    Rosaria ~ A gift of "maturing" is realizing what we have control over and what we don't!

    Welshcakes ~ Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

    Paola ~ Cara cugina! Mi piace molto che puoi capire il mio inglese. Brava! È vero: mens sana in corpore sano! Buon S. Valentino a te e Gianni.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best for the cataract op. (I'm a bit behind with your posts). Glad you had an interesting time at the mushroom event.

    ReplyDelete