Having had severe myopia since I was a child, my eyesight has always been a source of anxiety for me. I received my first pair of glasses in the third grade.
![]() |
| Fred, Chuck, Patricia around 1951 |
A cataract is a clouding of the lens of the eye that happens to almost all of us as we age, a result of the proteins in the lens breaking down. Being very nervous about having such an important surgery, my friend, Harriet, suggested I go to see a specialist who is renown for challenging surgeries, Dr. Khodabakhsh and he immediately inspired my confidence. The good news is that this particular body part is easily replaceable. We are fortunate to live in a time where technology has made this procedure so easy and readily available. Imagine living in the 1800s like Bach and Handal who both died of complications of a very rudimentary cataract procedure. So, I can see clearly now...colors are brighter, shapes are more defined. While I can see faces, signs, birds and flowers I find myself thinking about all the other things I might NOT see so clearly.
To exist in the world, to interact with others, to be a part of a family and a community, I have to see with more than my physical eye. I also see with my mind, my senses, my emotions and my heart. So I find myself thinking about how those other aspects of my vision may become clouded and wondering how I might correct that vision distortion. I am human so I go through life forming opinions and perceptions about events and people. I question the accuracy of those filters that I place on my vision. Could some of them cause distortions that prevent me from being open or to really SEEING people? I realize that the ability to form judgments is part of the human survival mechanism to alert us to when we are safe or at risk from others. But I question their validity and wonder how I can attempt to see more clearly in my interactions with others.
A friend recently suggested a might like to read "The Wise Heart" by Jack Kornfield,
psychologist and Buddhist teacher that presents Buddhist psychology, starting with the first principle: To see the inner nobility and beauty in all human beings. Kornfield suggests a way to begin to see this in others by shifting the time frame and imagining the person as a child, still young and innocent and to be reminded that we are fellow travelers on this journey of life, each struggling with burdens and wanting happiness and dignity.
Recently we watched the animated movie, Avatar, with Gabriel, where the Na'vi humanoid inhabitants of the planet Pandora greet each other by saying, "I see you." This greeting was an acknowledgement of the other that implies, I don't just see you but I see all of you...I see the inner goodness in you.
So while my physical eye heals I will also try to remove the clouded cataracts from all the other aspects of my vision and try to be able to say, when I meet those who cross my path, "I see you!"


That is wonderful that you had both eyes done. As I age (77 in July) my cataracts are not bad enough to have to have them removed. For that I am grateful.
ReplyDeleteWonderful news - so pleased for you. I'm myopic but have always used spectacles except for my wedding day service when I managed to wear the old type of hard contact lens. Now my eyesight problems with the retina and vitreous detachment cannot be improved with treatment so I've learned to cope.
ReplyDeleteSeeing with the inner eye is important, especially trying to see others as God sees them. That's the challenge.
Hope your eyes heals well and you will be able to say "I see you". My baby is stable and recovering well. He also has start to be waken and unhappy cause he is hungry:). A good sign for us.
ReplyDeleteSight is a wonderful gift but you are right there is so much more to see apart from the physical.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the success of your op.
I hope you continue to make a good brecovery. You're right - we are so fortunate to live in this technological era. The book sounds very interesting.
ReplyDelete