Friday, March 25, 2011

I Am a Mother - Celebrating Marc's Birthday

I have always believed that a child's birthday is as important to the mother as it is to the child.  After nine months of carrying that growing fetus, of feeling it twist and turn, kick, stick it little foot under your rib cage the infant is born and is placed in your arms.  Even though you are surrounded by a medical team, during those hours of labor and delivery it is just you and that baby.  So, each year, on the birthdays of each of my 3 sons, I recall that day with a special memory and I feel a tug to that child stronger than any umbilical cord.

My youngest son, Marc, turned 41 on March 21st.
Marc Andrew Altieri - March 1970
Born 5 years after my second son, I was a more seasoned mom when Marc arrived.  I had "my act" more together.  Since his two older brothers were already in school, his toddler years were unique in that it was just the two of us.  I was a stay-at-home mom, so during the day he and I would deal with the world.  We ran errands together. We sang songs in the car and we talked.  His little personality was so vital and alive.  He had an opinion about everything from the time he could put four words together.  In fact, he told me once, "Mommy, I think my hobby is talking."  And talk we did.

I have so many wonderful memories of raising that little boy.  And as I planned his family dinner to celebrate this year, I wanted it to convey my love for him.  I got out the "You Are Special Today" plate that has been used over the years with the celebrant signing the back to memorialize the event.

I prepared favorite dishes, like his special tomato salad and his German Chocolate Cake.
And I had gifts ready that I thought he would like... frozen servings of his favorite childhood recipes that he could take home with him to enjoy later.
And an afghan that I had knitted.  Cuddling up in blankets has always been a treat to Marc.  When he was little he had a "Blankie" that he carried around with him.  He slept with it, wrapped himself in it while watching TV, and hid under it when he was pouting.

He is 41 years old, and as I look at his mature "man's" face, I still see the little boy inside.  He is a man, living his full life in the world and I am proud of him.  But, I would give anything to be able to pull him on to my lap one more time, to rock him to sleep one more time, to rub his head in my lap one more time, to cheer him as he pitched at his Little League game one more time, to hear the noise of his playing the drums in the garage one more time.
Marc Altieri - All Star Pitcher!
But the years are past and I relive those moments only in my memories...knowing I will always hold him close in my heart.
 Happy Birthday, Marc.  I am so glad that I am your mom!

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, they will always be little boys in their mother's eyes. You touched a few chords here, P.

    My youngest, 31 next month, became engaged last week. These milestones do not take away all the wonderful memories we have of their childhood. Yes, their birthdays are our birthdays too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how time flys by! My baby boy is 33!! Thanks so much for sharing these special moments with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely tribute Patricia, how right you are I always feel a Mum should be thought of on the anniversary of a child's Birthday for giving birth. Congratulations on giving birth to Marc 41 years ago and of course Happy Birthday to him also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday and happy giving birth 41 years ago to your son. Both of my son are born early mornings and I always can't sleep after midnight close to their birth time every year. Sometimes, I don't realised why. But my husband remind me maybe because I was awake during this time to give birth to them and the body conciously remember this happy moment each year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great piece. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday anche da parte mia!!!
    Molto bello tuo figlio Patricia :-)
    Complimenti per la tua bellissima famiglia.
    un bacio
    Giada

    ReplyDelete