Thursday, June 2, 2011

I Am A Planner - Establishing a Lifeline

My latest knitting project is a cardigan sweater, called the February Lady Sweater, that I am knitting for my mother. It will be a gift for her on her 95th birthday in August...if I complete it!  Two nights ago I was knitting as I watched "Bones" on TV and I became so engrossed in the story that I made a mistake and ended up with stitches dropped. Normally this would not be a problem, but this sweater has an intricate pattern that results in a lacy design.  I had to rip out rows and rows of work and spent about half an hour on my knees on the floor trying to carefully recapture each stitch within the pattern.  I asked myself..."Why did I not create a "Lifeline."

A typical definition for a lifeline is a support mechanism that enables people to survive or to continue doing something.  Sailors toss out a lifeline to someone who has gone overboard.  Others consider a lifeline something that is an insurance to help mitigate in an emergency.  For a knitter, a lifeline is a temporary thread of scrap yarn (some knitters even use dental floss) inserted with a needle through a row of stitches.  If you make a mistake, or have some other knitting calamity, you can rip out the rows down to the lifeline and easily place the stitches held by the lifeline on to a knitting needle. And the knitting can proceed with a minimum amount of distress.

Needless to say, after rescuing my work, I immediately added a lifeline...kind of like locking the barn after the horse got out.

But it caused me to think about other aspects of my life and question, "Do I have other lifelines in place?"

Here are the lifelines I have established:

I have a surplus of canned food items (thank you Costco) in the garage and vegetables growing in the garden  should there be an emergency and we could not get food from a store.
I have a large backpack prepared with emergency preparedness items stashed in the trunk of my car should there be an earthquake or fire.

I have an ICE (In Case of Emergency) number entered into my cell phone contacts list should the police or paramedics need to notify someone of an accident.

I have our living trust and insurance documents in a special container along with a letter of instructions for my son, Michael, should anything unforeseen happen to us and he would need to take care of our affairs.

I have a $100 bill hidden away where only I know it is should I need some fast money.

I have a spare key hidden somewhere that only Jay and I know, should we be locked out of our house.

I have all my documents backed up regularly on an external disc should my computer die.

I have a durable power of attorney for health in place should I not be able to make decisions about my health care.

We have long-term care insurance should we need care and not want to be a burden to our family.

I have friendships that I try to nurture should I need a shoulder to cry on.

I have a husband that I try to keep central to my life should I need to share a joy or a sorrow.

Life is in session and unforeseen events will happen.  I know the saying..."Man plans, and God laughs!" but having lifelines in place helps me sleep better at night, knowing that at least I have done what I can to mitigate an emergency...whether it is only a dropped stitch on a knitted garment or a major life event.

6 comments:

  1. How organised! I was interested to learn about your knitting 'lifeline' and, as I'm not a knitter, I've learned something new. I hope you will share a photo of the completed garment and very special gift in due course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a planner! Good for you! This is very inspirational to all of us who drag our feet and put off till tomorrow.
    We've added a freezer last year because we wanted to purchase local beef, which is extremely expensive if bought in the store, but we paid about $3.50 a pound. Granted, some cuts I will use to feed my children's dogs, and that's o.k. I have some cuts I never tried, but, in an emergency, I will always have extra food in this freezer.

    Since I had the freezer, I was able to plant and freeze more berries, more beans and peas too. I even froze zucchini, which turned out too mushy for anything but soup. Regardless, that freezer has paid for itself in just one year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good people and good life!
    My best wishes to both of you.
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a planner, as well. All of us plan for things like births, weddings, etc. but neglect to plan for the one sure thing that all of us will face one day. We are leaving for a two week trip overseas and, should our demise occur while there or on the way, we have notified our children of important matters of who to contact, where things are located in the home, including our little rosewood boxes that will contain "us" to be dropped in the ocean off Catalina Island. Of course, the kids don't want to talk about this at all and pretend they didn't get the missive, but they must know and, God forbid something should happen to us, they will be happy that we didn't leave things in chaos. Before leaving, I will clean the toilets, empty the trash, change the linens and make sure the house is in order. (Do I hear my mother speaking to me from above? It's a fall back to the "clean underwear" syndrome). Our children will be happy with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~Rosaria - I would love to have a large freezer, especially as my gardening grows. WE just have so little storage place, I have no place to put one!

    ~Linda - Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very organised. I like to be ready too in case of emergencies. Nowadays with 2 active boys, I forget to plan anymore. The days and hours pass so quickly. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete