I know better than this. I am a student of life and learned a long time ago...when life's circumstances had paralyzed me and rendered me a crying woman assuming the fetal position...that I had the power to deal with what life throws at me. I did not have to eat the whole elephant in one bite. I did not need to be held captive to fear. I did not have to be overwhelmed by the vision of an ideal I held in my mind. All I had to do was make a choice to just "do the next directed thing"...and MOVE. I would ask myself, "How can I know the next directed thing?" and a dear friend told me..."When you get up in the morning...the next directed thing is to make your bed." Look at what is front of you and take that step and it will move you in the direction you want to go.
When I was 46 years old I was given the opportunity to return to school to earn an MBA. I was working fulltime managing a department and staff, still had a couple of sons at home. Where would I find the time and the energy to tackle such a project? Do the next directed thing...apply. Do the next directed thing...enroll in one class. Three years later I was walking across the grounds of Loyola Marymount University wearing a Master's academic hood.
Recently I stepped on the scale and shuddered..."When did that happen!" My ideal, or at least closer-to-ideal, body is 15 pounds lighter. My mind screamed..." How will I ever lose some weight." Do the next directed thing...have an apple for dessert. Do the next directed thing...step out the door and go for a walk. I am now six pounds lighter...not my ideal, but I don't let my mind go there. I just take the next directed step.
So, what did I do today in the garden? I weeded a patch, spread some compost and planted an eight-ball zucchini squash, a Japanese cucumber, four golden beets, and three Blue Lake bean plants.
![]() |
| Pole Green beans |
![]() |
| 8 Ball Zucchini |
and I watered the rest of the garden. Tomorrow I will take another step.




Yes! Good for you! Sometimes it's all I can do to drag myself out to the garden...but my chickens live right next to the fenced garden, and they must be watered and fed...so I open the gate to the garden...walk through to the back where the gate to the chicken run is (I planned it that way: I know myself so well)...between gate one and gate two I stop to pull a weed, pick a handful of berries and note who/what needs attention...as you stated so well, The Next Directed Thing. GREAT POST!
ReplyDeleteEase up on yourself. You're a Pisces, as am I, and we have trouble making decisions sometimes. Things can tend to be a bit overwhelming at first...sort of like swimming upstream. Somehow we "gitt'er done".
ReplyDeleteAh yes...one step at a time...which has helped me a lot in these few months.
ReplyDeleteBusy, busy post, cut out carbohydrates after 5pm, it works!
ReplyDelete