Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I Am An American - Celebrating Our Freedoms


This is the weekend of celebration...of our nation's "birthday!"  Our little town has a traditional 4th of July Parade and community groups, young and old, join in the march down a main street.  As I looked at the newspaper this morning I was aware of the headlines that cause concern about our country and our way of life.  The economy continues to falter and there are still so many people searching for employment.  My brothers and friends wonder if they will ever be able to retire with the assurance of having enough to live on for the rest of their lives.  The California State budget is in shambles and my mother worries that MediCal will be cut more and my sister will not have the medical coverage and the services she needs.  School tuition increases and students wonder if they will be able to continue their education.  Politicians take the podiums across the US vying for a coveted place on the Presidential slate of candidates and I don't see anyone with whom I can identify and I question their messages.  There is much between the pages to make me feel disenchanted.

Then I read an article online written by Regina Brett, who writes for the Cleveland Plain Dealer.  In it she reminded her readers of the "WE" in 'We the people" and of the freedoms we are so privileged to enjoy in our country.  She wrote that "Freedom isn't free. The price is paid in blood, but it's also paid by smaller sacrifices, by people willing to serve on jury duty, by those willing to run for political office, by those willing to take time to educate themselves before voting." She reminded us that our American way of life is a gift to those of us born here and how naturalized citizens must study and "qualify" to become citizens.  And she challenged us with the statement: "America isn't perfect, but a more perfect union hasn't been created. It's made more perfect by each generation, by new citizens who choose to be part of the We."
 If you want to read the full article, it can be found here.

My father always told me that whenever I want to call attention to the faults of others by pointing my finger at them, to remember that there are 4 fingers pointing back at me.  I have to look at myself first to see how I am contributing to the problem and what I can do to improve things. So this 4th of July also asked me to do that. I carried that thought with me as we attended a wonderful BBQ at David and Gloria's home in El Segundo and as we joined some of the family at Mike and Milli's to watch Gabriel host and emcee his own fireworks display.
Gabe offering fireworks to Milli and Michelle
Marc, Mom and Mike picking out fireworks!
We live free and we are grateful.



5 comments:

  1. Well said Mother. One of my favorite phrases is from a song by the "you know who" brothers - "Free is NOT your right to choose. It's answering what's asked of you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a great day. Love the gilet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a happy July 4th, like Pat love your gilet. Unfortunately we have the same sort of problems you describe here in Europe also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, thanks for the comment! Love that quote!

    Rosaria, Pat and Linda...thanks for the good wishes...and I had to look up the word "gilet"...must be part of the Queen's English!

    ReplyDelete