Friday, July 8, 2011

I Am A Traveler - Visiting An Argentinian Market!

Los Angeles is a very diverse place.  Driving into specific neighborhoods I feel like I am in another country.  In a matter of minutes I can be in Little Korea, Little India, Little Ethiopia or Little Croatia.  Today I felt like a foreign traveler, when on the way home from one of our Omnilore classes, we stopped at El Gaucho Meat Market on Inglewood Ave. in Lawndale.


It is advertised as an Argentinian Meat Market and it has one of those dying breeds...a real, live butcher who will actually cut your meat for you. There are unique cuts of meat for body parts I have not yet been adventurous enough to try! Think Sweetbreads, Heart, Tripe.


Just stepping inside this store I am transported to South America.  The sounds that fill my ears are music and language. The smells are exotic to my California senses.  I love wandering up and down the aisles and looking at products unique to Argentinian Cuisine.  However, I also find familiar items.  Many Italian immigrants emigrated to Argentina so it not unusual to find the instant polenta here that I use to bread my chicken cutlets, as well as other items, like frozen gnocchi, that remind me of my roots.


When I think of Argentina, I think of gauchos, steak, TANGO!  One item I always buy here is their skirt steak marinated in a spicy mixture with onions and beer!  And then to go with the steak, a nice hearty Malbec wine.


It was near noon so we treated ourselves to an empanada taste test at their little deli...one beef, one chicken and one spinach.  The spinach won and Jay had a hard time sharing it with me.


I hope he can find his sunglasses!  What a nice respite...a little mini-vacation in a foreign land that did not require going through airport security.  Now all we need to totally transport us to Buenos Aires is a tango dance floor!

5 comments:

  1. As I've said before, you and Jay are the most interesting people I know. How clever you are to take advantage of all the wonderful and exciting things in your area. It inspires me to get out and explore more things. Do you ever get bored? I know, I know...that word doesn't exist in my vocabulary either but somewhere I heard it before and had to look it up in the dictionary. Oh, right. I think it was the grandchildren who taught me the word. Aargh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun right around the corner in the greater Los Angeles, if one only gets out of their rut.
    Good for you!
    Now, we expect you and Jay to show us how to tango.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay does look like he has trouble sharing that delicious sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of eating out at different establishments serving national food. We have a similar area in our city. The Omnilore classes sound like fun, too! (We know some Argentinian families who came over to live in our home town in Italy. They are very hospitable and love a get-to-gether).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot imagine not having a real live butcher to visit, are they really a dying breed in your part of the USA, that is so sad.

    ReplyDelete