![]() |
| Romualdo Scherillo |
Growing up in Ohio, having regular contact with immigrant grandparents and great-grandparents, I was cocooned in "the Italian way." Every holiday was spent with a houseful of relatives and I grew up with cousins who were as close as siblings.
![]() |
| Easter in Lorain, OH with cousins ~ 1953 |
I thought everyone approached their great-grandparents as I did. Quietly and respectfully walking to them, silently practicing the words "Si benedica" in my head and then saying them and hearing the reply, "Dio ti benedici." I didn't know I was conducting an ancient custom, asking God's blessing on them and they, placing their hands on my head replying, "God bless you."
![]() |
| Great-Grandparents John & Frances Rosso at Grandfather's, Fred Montalto, birthday |
Mealtimes were important with everyone around the table. I thought every father asked his children to pass the bread by saying "dammi il pane!" When my mother would serve something for dinner that did not look appealing to me, I would never say anything because we were to eat what was put before us. If my face registered some distaste for the food on the plate, my mother would scold me and say be grateful, and then say something like...don't you "schifare" meaning to act disgusted by it.
![]() |
| With cousins in Kent, OH - 1953 - Mom at stove, pasta pot in background! |
Only now, as an adult learning the equivalent of the "Queen's English," as I study formal Italian...do I see how my life was always peppered with the language. Yes, some was dialect, and some was like pidgin...an Italian-American slang and some was traditional. Now my soul seems to yearn for the comfort and joy that fills me when I hear it spoken in foreign films or Italian music. There is often a depth of meaning that cannot be translated. Telling Gabriel "Sogni d'oro" (Golden dreams) when he goes to bed says more than "sweet dreams." Just saying the words..."ti voglio bene" (the equivalent of "I love you" really meaning "I want for you EVERYTHING good.") makes my eyes tear.
I am not fluent in the language. I do best when I read it. Second best when I write it. But I am rather hopeless when I listening to it being spoken. My ears just can't keep up. But I continue to work at it. I get most of my practice through email with cousins in Sicily and I look forward to receiving their messages.
One of my favorite websites for learning Italian is Becoming Italian Word by Word. Dianne Hales, author of La Bella Lingua, shares little lessons about the Italian Way of Life complete with colloquial phrases. At her website she has a pdf with 10 Reasons to Fall In Love with Italian. I love it!
To all my friends...to my family...I say from the bottom of my heart..."Ti voglio bene."




Oh, che brava!
ReplyDeleteAnch'io ti voglio bene, cara Patricia.
Oh. This makes me smile. I love the photos and the fashion, vintage vintage! I love your sense of family and the little phrases that just can't translate succinctly with the same meaning. And thank you for the links to learning Italian! Someday I dream of going there, I must have some ability to ask for cappuccino and the loo. Among other things! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI found that numbers are usually one of the things that easier to remember when learning any language.
ReplyDeleteI really loved this post and the memories you shared with us. It sounds like a wonderful childhood. I really enjoyed the time I spent here today. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteAh, the good old days spent with grandparents from the "old country". During the war, my mom worked while my dad was in school so I spent every day with my Spanish grandparents. Now that was the way to learn Spanish! My first words were in Spanish and, as my mom didn't speak the language, I refused to speak English when I went home and she had to call my grandfather for a translation. That sorted itself out over time or I would have starved to death waiting for what I wanted to eat. Sundays were spent at Mama and Papa's eating paella or whatever wonderful dinner she prepared. I inherited my love of good food and the love of cooking from my grandmother. As a result, I love languages and especially Italian with its lilt and passion with words. My "bucket list" has too many holes in it, but I do intend to learn the language before I make a trip to Italy. I should start now so thanks for the links.
ReplyDeletePretty good post! I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.I'll use this information.
ReplyDeletespeak italian