Monday, March 26, 2012

I Am An Estate Agent - Tying Up Loose Ends

Life is full of little deaths - small losses that when looked at on a to-do list, don't look like a big deal - but when implemented, feel like a punch in the stomach!

Today I disconnected my mother's telephone line.  Over the years this phone number has been the one constant connection between the Rinaldi family and the rest of the world.  It was issued to us when we moved to Hawthorne, CA from Kent, OH in 1955.  Years past and as we children grew up and went our own way, we could still be found by old friends calling 310-643-9411. My mother would answer the phone and tell them how to get in touch with us.  "You will never guess who called today!" she would say.  Voices from the past would say, "I just took a chance that this number was still good and I am so glad that you are still there!"


Every night when Jay and I would sit down in the living room to relax after dinner, maybe with the News Hour on TV or a good book in his hands and my knitting in mine, I would reach for the phone and speed dial 310-643-9411 for my daily phone call with my mother.  She expected the call, she waited for it, and when the phone rang, my sister Cathy would call out to her..."There's Pat!"  We would talk about the day, what she had done, what I had done, was there anything she needed. It was one of the periods to the sentence of my day.

I am busy these days tying up the loose ends of my mother's life.  I have had her phone number forwarded to my phone so I could see if anyone was still using the number; but after 2 weeks of callers asking if we wanted the carpets cleaned or offering to lower the interest rate on any credit cards, my brother and I decided to save the money and disconnect the line.

Now when you dial 310-643-9411 you will hear a recording telling you... "The number you have reached has been disconnected or is no longer in service."  The phone line is gone.  My mother is gone.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Pat...my heart hurts for you. My father passed away at 53 years of age...26 years ago...I still pick up the phone on occasion and dial his number...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, so many pieces to untangle, dispose of, re-route, and then, reassemble what needs to be reassembled. This is difficult work. So many memories in each piece of china, each item that needs to go somewhere. They will bring joy and memories; but right now, they bring tears mostly.

    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's amazing to me is that she had that same number since 1955. I can't even count the number of telephone numbers my parents had in that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to read your blog to Geoff and couldn't get through it. It brought back memories of cleaning up my parents' lives. Fortunately, I am surrounded by "things" that were precious to them. But the one thing that crumpled me after my dad passed were his shoes. I felt there was so much meaning in a pair of shoes that would no longer take him around the world, or come to visit us, or work in his garden, or to take him from his bedroom to his favorite chair in the TV room. Yes, Patricia, this is a very hard time but soon will be filled mostly with smiles of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete