Thursday, March 22, 2012

I Am a Grandmother - Wednesdays With Gabriel

I have two grandsons...Nikolas and Gabriel.  They are 15 years apart in age and the good news about that is I had the opportunity to enjoy each one of them independently when they were children.  Nikolas had a section of my house that was his as he was growing up and he could lick the beaters when I baked a cake without having to share with anyone!

Now is my time with Gabriel and I treasure it.  Gabriel loves routine and Wednesday is our day.  I pick him up from school at 2:10 and bring him home with me.  Once home, he has an apple for a snack...always an apple, always cored and cut into little cubes.  He knows he has to do homework and likes to get it out of the way so he can do the things he enjoys...so he sets up shop on the kitchen island and delights in showing me what he has learned.


Last night he was doing Social Studies...4th grade studies the state of California and he had to fill in the blanks with words like land grants and ranchos and California Alta.  Jay loves it when we can't find an answer and Gabe calls out to "Grandpa Jay" with the question and "Grandpa Jay" calls back the answer!  It seems to me that children are learning complicated concepts at a much earlier age.   It is clear that they live in a world that is different from the one our children inhabited.  When Jay asked Gabriel what the word "economy" meant, Gabe said..."Wait, I'll check my phone!" and then proceeded to use the search capability on his iphone to find the definition!
 
Gabriel keeps us young and in touch with the world of today.  I wouldn't trade my Wednesdays with him for the all the tea in China!

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely routine you have with your grandchild! Now, with all the tools at their fingertips, they can truly expand their reach. Yet, they still need that one-on-one connection with loving adults.
    Blessings to you and your lovely circle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Rosaria...and the challenge to us is to stay current with the tools!

      Delete
  2. What wonderful memories and times for all three of you! I am so jealous and miss my grandson so so much ,now that he is in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to have Gabe close by. I am sure you miss your grandson...do you Skype? Have many grandparent friends who do that via computer with their grandchildren and they love it.

      Delete
  3. I can see you enjoy your time with Gabe, and it is ideal to have a routine as you do, so you see him once a week at a certain time, and you have the apple ready :)

    ReplyDelete