I am at a time in my life when I find myself reading articles and books on how to hold on to my youthful vigor...or at least how to slow down the descent into an aging shuffle! I eat fresh vegetables, take brisk walks in the neighborhood, try to maintain a reasonable weight, drink lots of water. But nothing seems to be as successful in my endeavors as spending extended time with my 10 year old...11 in 11 days he just reminded me...grandson, Gabriel. Gabe is on summer vacation. Since his parents both have full time jobs and since their social schedule is packed with Stanley Cup Victory Events, he just spent two full day with us, including a sleepover!
 |
| Gabe on his air mattress with his stuffed dog, Anze (yes, named after Kopitar!) |
A ten year old boy has lots of energy and most of all, does not want to be bored! So, on his second day, after he patiently spent time with us at an Omnilore Computer Talk, we treated him to bowling! Gabe has bowled before but it has been YEARS since I have held a bowling ball.
 |
| Gabriel has nice form! |
Grandpa Jay quickly bowed out by claiming he could not risk upsetting his temperamental back and he assumed the position of coach, explaining to me, repeatedly, what I was doing wrong in between turning pages of his book on Climate Change.
 |
| The Coach |
He expertly pointed out what was wrong with my approach, how to
compensate for it and wondered why I did not follow his direction!
 |
| I did the best I could, Coach! |
Gabe did pretty well...got a few spares and even one strike!
 |
| After getting a STRIKE! |
Gabe proudly beat me in all games!
 |
| A final score...note the comment about the Kings running along the bottom of the screen! |
Then after dinner, we three sat on the floor....yes, the floor...to play cards while we waited for his parents to come to get him.
 |
| Jay giving some pointer about Rummy! |
Do I feel younger? Well, I must admit I never did my get bowling groove back and I was not so quick to get up and down from the floor, but in the process if I did not feel younger, at least I felt FULLY ALIVE! I guess the fact that I am going to see my doctor this morning for an aggravated sciatica nerve down my left leg is a small price to pay.
Thank you, Gabriel, for your youth, your enthusiasm, and the energy you bring into our lives!
You're great grandparents!!! Bowling? Perfect place to take kids with lots of energy!
ReplyDeleteYes, grandchildren can, at least, make you think that you feel younger until you play a game of Wii with them and they beat the pants off you. After many a Wii bowling game where I employed muscles that I didn't know I had, I went for a massage where I announced that I had a major case of butt lock (sciatic trouble). She asked how it happened and I mentioned about the Wii bowling. THAT was a first for her. Jay had the right idea about being a coach. That keeps the mind active, too.
ReplyDeleteOh, yes, grandchildren can remind us of how far we have come! I smiled at how your husband gave you instructions! Just like mine would!
ReplyDeleteHope your sciatica nerve feels better soon.
Having five grandsons (one grand daughter) has been and still is a lot of fun. The older ones are in their twenties and we were carers for them when we were in our forties and fifties. It's a different situation in our sixties with the younger boys being nine and ten. The nine-year-old is good at all sports. We stand and cheer him on, enjoy television sporting events together when he and his sister come for a sleepover, but don't do anything more strenuous these days.
ReplyDeleteThat trip to the bowling alley looked like great fun for your energetic grandson. You all look in good shape, but hope
your sciatica calms down.