Friday, June 15, 2012

I Am A Mother - Sharing Michael's Moment

"Who AM I?" I sometimes ask myself.  One of the first words that pops into my head is, "Mother."  This role often dominates my self image. Bearing and raising three sons, each so unique, each different, has brought into my life some of my richest joys and some of my deepest pains.  Nothing hurts a mother as much as watching her child hurting and not being able to do anything about it.  Nothing fills a mother's being as much as watching her child rejoicing and being privileged to stand on the sidelines and feel her own heart and eyes spill over.

Michael Anthony Altieri is my second son.  Born just 15 months after his older brother, Joey, when I was a mere 23 years old, I wondered how I was going to handle life and these two little ones.  But fortune smiled on me...because from the day he graced this earth, Michael demonstrated the qualities that would guide his life. He was the easiest child...capable, considerate, conscientious...a child that captured your heart.


It was impossible to grow up in our household and not be a sports fan. Like his brothers, he played sports, collected trading cards, had posters of his heroes (like Wayne Gretsky) on the wall, even cut school to attend a special sporting event!  When he was a Communications Major at Long Beach State University he decided that the life path that would make him happiest was to take his skills and find a way to use them in the Sports Industry.  A meeting and subsequent internship with John Black (PR Director for the LA Lakers) and a first job from Jeannie Buss as PR Director for the LA Blades Roller Hockey team, set him on the path for his current position as Vice President of Communications and Broadcasting for AEG Sports.  In time, Michael advanced through the organization and I would often be in a position to see him in his role dealing with co-workers, players, and management and what was so apparent was that Michael continued to be an older version of the child I knew...capable, considerate, conscientious...well-respected by all who worked with him.

Michael working a Kings game at the Forum.
Michael was never one to call attention to himself or to toot his own horn...(his job was to toot the horn for others)...but he knew that as a mother I wanted to share in his special moments.  So occasionally I would quietly receive an email picture from him just to let me know that:

He had to handle a Press conference and someone snapped this photo:

Press Conference - 2005
He had to participate in the NHL draft and someone snapped this photo:

NHL Draft - 2003
He happened to have an extra team photo with him at the end of the second row that I might like:


Would I like to sponsor him in the Beard-a-thon?:



He had to respond to some media questions and someone captured the video:


He had to accompany the LA Galaxy to meet the President and someone snapped this photo of him shaking the president's hand:

President Obama reaching for Michael's hand.
And as a typical mother, I treasured these mementos as much as I did the school drawings that used to don my refrigerator door.

I asked him once to tell me his approach that helped him do so well in his job and he replied, "Mom, no matter what happens, I always try to take the high road."  That describes his approach to not just his professional life, but to life in general.  That is what my son has taught ME.

Over the years Michael has had other opportunities to move about in the industry, but after considering the pros and cons he always remained where he was, a part of the LA Kings family.  He would say how he loved the team, how he believed in them, how he wanted to be with them when they won their first Stanley Cup because he knew they would do it.  This year his loyalty paid off. The Kings captured the Stanley Cup and Michael was immersed in all of it, competently handling his responsibility while reveling in the victory.

Embracing Jonathan Quick after the Stanley Cup WIN!

The Team Photo taken after the Final Game of the Stanley Cup Play-offs
Culmination of 17 years...lifting the Stanley Cup!!!
I was fortunate to be able to attend a few of the play-off games and to participate in the Black Parade and victory Rally the team provided for all their loyal fans. I watched him interacting with the press and team, I watched him share his joy with those who mean the most to him, his family...Milli and Gabriel.

Michael with Milli and Gabriel at the Fan Rally

Michael enjoying a special moment with Gabriel at the rally.

I was a mother....sharing his moment, standing on the sidelines and watching...as my heart and my eyes spilled over.

18 comments:

  1. thanks Mom. This is just so rewarding and beautiful. I love you.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU are so rewarding and beautiful! I have loved being your mom!

      Delete
  2. So beautifully written, Pat. Your gift of writing blesses us so much and Michael, you are still the little boy that lived down the street from us and friend of my son, Steve. I am so proud of your dedication to your job, your family and to God. You make us all proud!!!!!
    Dick Forsythe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful tribute to a son that you can be so proud of.... thanks for a glimpse into your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin - Somehow words never seem to be sufficient to convey what exists in your heart. But I am glad you liked the post.

      Delete
  4. When I heard the news the Kings won I knew you were one proud Italian-American momma! Reading this tribute to your son made MY eyes spill over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Lynda, for sharing in our special time!

      Delete
  5. This is completely beautiful, and your son sounds like a good man. You raised him well. How exciting to watch his hard work and successes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He IS a good man, Terra. I am proud to be his mom.

      Delete
  6. Hello, Patricia. I'm back blogging again and catching up!
    Your tribute to your son is beautiful. You have a lovely family. Your writing echoes so much of what we feel, as mothers, about our own loved ones as we hope and pray for their well-being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and welcome back. I think all mothers understand a mother's heart!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful son! He learned from his Mom to take the high road!
    Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosaria, you, of all people, understand how a son's presence in your life fills it in a unique way!

      Delete
  8. How beautiful! Having known Mike since those early intern days you captured his demeanor perfectly. And being the mother of a son, reading this brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, thank you for your wonderful words. The very fact that Michael has maintained and nurtured friendships from "those early intern days" just underlines my comments. Enjoy your son!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing this! I've known Michael & MilliE for many years. They have always been so humble, kind and supportive. It's easy to see where it comes from ... Thrilled for the Altieri family! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cliff, for echoing our sentiments regarding Michael and Milli!

      Delete
  10. Pat, I just now read your tribute to Michael...what a wonderful turn of phrase and such a delightful set of pictures that--oh, just happened to get snapped! Thank you to both of you. As someone who had a small part in getting Raytheon to sponsor the L.A. Kings' Military Mondays this past season, I can say that our company is so proud of our hometown team. And what a joy to see Michael quoted in all the local papers; journeying with that famous cup; and those wonderful young men who are our hometown boys.

    ReplyDelete