Monday, September 29, 2014

I Am A Kings Fan - Celebrating Lord Stanley's Cup...Again



Two years ago, my son, Michael, realized a lifelong dream…his Los Angeles Kings won the Stanley Cup.  Here we are two years later and to quote Yogi Berra, “It’s déjà vu all over again!”


As the VP of Communications and Broadcasting, Michael was permitted to have the Cup on Saturday to celebrate with about 250 of his closest family and friends!  He was able to use the Stadium Club at the Stubhub Center for the afternoon and what a Gala it was.  It started with a welcome by Mike, an appeal for donations to the Hydrocephalus Fund through Kings Care Foundation, and then he and Gabriel carried Lord Stanley’s Cup to its place of honor.   


The venue filled with people, many wearing Kings apparel identifying their favorite players.  They sipped wine and beer and nibbled on appetizers while waiting in line for their turn to touch, kiss, and have their photo taken with the Cup.


I loved every minute of it because it gave me a chance to catch up with friends and family. But more importantly it gave me a chance to experience my son’s happiness.  As I wandered the room, snapping pictures here and there, my youngest son, Marc, asked me if I was going to blog about the event.  "Of course," I said.  "My blog is to capture important moments in my life.” Then he asked me, “What is going to be the message of the blog?  You know, you always have an underlying message, Mom!”   

So I thought about it.  What was the “bottom line” message or “take away” from the day?  My mind kept conjuring up images of Michael full of joy to be with people from all the different aspects of his life.  There was Matt Carroll, whom he had worked with when he was 14 years old, washing golf carts and gathering range balls at Alondra Golf Course.  He remembers Matt as his first “mentor” and was able to thank him again for his impact on Mike’s life.


There were high school friends and friends from his early twenties when he was in college and working as an usher at the Forum.  



Longtime friend, Rick Jelinek flew in from Minn. with his two children, just to be present.

 
There were current friends who share in his and Milli’s life.


There was Family...the Castillo Family who have embraced him as one of their own since his marriage to Milli.    


The Rinaldi Family…his Uncles and cousins.  


The Altieri Family, a cousin who came in from San Diego.  


 His immediate family…his brothers,




Even Gino (in utero) with his mom and dad.



  
And most important his own family of Milli and Gabriel.


After the big event, a smaller group of family and friends gathered at the Salt Creek Grill to continue the celebration, and sipping from the Cup.
At one point Michael stopped by me and said… "Mom isn’t this great.  When would I ever have such a chance to have all the people in my life who have been important to me be in one place with me. These people made me who I am.  I am so grateful that I can share this with them.”

And that is my message…that our lives are “seasoned” with significant people, people who touched us in various ways and at various times, and contributed to our growth.  They may just pass through or they might stay around.  But for whatever time they are present, they have an impact.  Michael is a loyal person and invests the time and effort to maintain his connections with those who have impacted his life. It is because of that, that he and everyone else was able to have such a wonderful event.  In the end, it is a gift he gave to himself!  I am proud of the Kings, but I am more proud of Michael!

So the pictures are captured, the blog is written, and we will wait for the next season when we hope we can experience “déjà vu all over again.”  We wait for you…Lord Stanley’s cup!!

2 comments:

  1. Somehow I missed this post. What a great event ... again for your family.

    ReplyDelete