I like that
my astrological sign is the Pisces. Here
is what Google tells me about it: Pisces
is a Water sign
and as such this zodiac sign is characterized by empathy and expressed
emotional capacity. Their ruling planet is Neptune, so Pisces are more intuitive
than others and have an artistic talent.
Who wouldn’t want to
be empathetic, intuitive and have emotional capacity and artistic talent. However, Pisces is a Water sign and I have never liked to be in the water. Oh, I love being NEAR the water, watching waves beat against the rocks or the sun
sinking into the blue Pacific. I love
that I live near the water. But I have
never liked to be IN the water.
Maybe it’s due to a “traumatic experience” I had as a child,
when a swim instructor stepped on my little 7 year old hands hanging on for
dear life to the edge of the Kent State University swimming pool, emotionally
scarring me for life!
Or maybe it’s due to stepping off a drop in the water
near the pier at Brady Lake and thrashing and sputtering as someone lifted me
up by my 10 year old arm and asked if I was OK. OK? I was drowning!!
Or maybe it’s due to having severe myopia and
having everything look like a blur when I was in the water without my
glasses.
Or maybe I am just not an
authentic Pisces.
Whatever the reason, I
am always the one sitting on the poolside lounge, not the one frolicking in the
water.
So I looked askance when Jay suggested that we try the Water
Aerobics class offered at our community pool three mornings a week. We wanted to incorporate more exercise into
our daily routine, other residents raved about it, and it was practically right
outside our door.
We went one morning as “observers” and saw that everyone wore
a flotation belt so there was no need to even be able to tread water. Everyone had smiles on their faces so they
were obviously enjoying it. The weather
was so hot and the pool did look inviting.
The instructor offered us her extra equipment to try it and see if we
liked it before investing in it.
So, the next class we were at the poolside at 8:20 am, in
swim suits, robes and flip-flops.
![]() |
| Heading for the pool... |
We put
on the flotation belts and prepared join the others.
The water was heated so it was an easy entry.
There was a buoyant sense of freedom as
our belts held us upright. We were told
it might feel awkward at first but that we would develop our water legs. For one hour Susan put us through a series of
exercises that included stretches to all muscle groups, aerobic big legs and big
arms moving in laps around and around and around the pool, stomach crunches,
leg kicks and resistance work on the arms using flotation dumbbells. I especially liked the exercise where I
looked like Esther Williams doing side stretches while hanging on to my
dumbbells.
It was quite a workout and I
didn’t even have to sweat!
We have been participating in the classes for a couple weeks
now. We have our own flotation equipment
and each time as we head home after the hour class we rejoice in the achy
muscles and feel quite proud of ourselves.
The best part is that Susan says I am doing very well, that I am a
natural. It must be because I am a
Pisces!





No comments:
Post a Comment