Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Am a Farmers Market Shopper

Wednesday morning = Westchester Farmers' Market. Any farmers' market in the month of August is like a trip to the Land of Bountiful.  I have my routine...starting at the south end of the vendor stalls and walking the entire length to check out who has what...what looks especially fresh and enticing...and performing a price comparison.  When I reach the north end, I stop at Jun's Fish stall and buy my fresh cod, for my mother and for me. This man is the greatest!  I asked him to tell me how he gets his fish.  He lives in Long Beach, goes to the airport every night at 12:30 am to pick up the fresh whole fish he has ordered the day before.  Once through customs, he takes the fish to Oxnard where two employees at his warehouse, cut and package the fish. He packs his van with his ice coolers full of fish and heads out for the day's Farmers' Market. The market usually closes by 2 pm and he heads home to sleep until his alarm wakes him at 11 pm. to head back to the airport.  He says it is hard work but it is good work.  His fish is wonderful.

Here my purchases today:  The Cod fillets and also one small Halibut fillet.  I will saute it and make a shallot and wine sauce with some of the crimson seedless grapes I bought.  Yellow and red onions...I never seem to have enough.  Green scallions from the Japanese grower.  Five luscious yellow peaches...I am thinking peach cobbler (Don't tell Marc or he will eat it all!)  A firm eggplant to grill. Some mixed baby lettuce and a cucumber with NO wax coating! Strawberries from Oxnard...sliced with balsamic vinegar...yummy. Black figs, only available for a few weeks but so delicious.  Will broil them stuffed with Gorgonzola cheese and wrapped in prosciutto and lay them on a salad...if I can wait that long.  An assortment of grapes, some muscat and some concord with seeds but so tasty. 

So I bring it all into the kitchen and delight it its beauty...what to prepare first?

No comments:

Post a Comment