This weekend was the playoffs for the end of the current hockey season for the Los Angeles Kings youth teams. Gabe played on the Black team for his division and Jay and I try to attend all of his games. It has been a tremendous pleasure to watch as his skill improves with each game. He loves the game and is a scrappy little player. He is number 11 this year and all the kids look alike when they take the ice but I can always spot him with the yellow shoestrings on his skates. He was all fired up for the playoffs and the first game was held on Saturday afternoon. His team was seeded number 1 and they played the Yellow team who gave them a real challenge, especially in the first period. Conspiracy theories abounded as some were convinced the Yellow team had brought in a ringer for the goalie! But the Black team won and were scheduled to play for the championship on Sunday morning. Gabe had one request...would someone make a sign to hold up while they played...I figured that was a "grandmother's task" and I rose to the challenge. They played very well and won the championship. The scorekeeper had mercy on the other team and stopped showing the goals once the score reached 8 to 2. Gabe had a huge contingent of fans in the stands and went home a happy little boy.
I think being a grandparent is a special gift. I have enjoyed my grandchildren in a way that I was never able to enjoy my own children. Some of it has to do with logistics and circumstances and having the time to be present to them without the demands of life that were present when I was also raising my children. But some of it has to do with a maturity that reminds me to treasure these moments. They pass very quickly and one day that child who would climb up on your lap and giggle when you told him a funny joke is now 5 foot 9 inches and is busy forging his own way in the world. So I tell myself...stop...pay attention...absorb this moment...it is a gift!
Here is Gabe with his Dad, Uncle Joey (up from San Diego for the game), his Poppa and his Uncle Marc.


Family, it is wonderful! The challenges of adversity and the consequences of our decisions effect our progress in this process called life.
ReplyDeleteIt is with great appreciation that I may say "I love mine"! Family
I would have never have been able to face those obstacles set before me, to overcome the difficulties in navigating here on this pathway of choice and decision making without you.
My good family presented such great strength and qualities of character and kindness that it made it hard for me to fail.
Interesting, "FAIL" we know it well, Don't we? But what I know better is the firm resolve and fortuitousness of our family and it's ability to overcome; to be fruitful, forthright and faithful to basic ideas and tenants of love.
I think we share a great deal, all of us, we truly know about "Team", I'm glad we're on the same one!
Great Picture! Great People!