Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I Am a Mother - Coffee with Michael

I am the mother of three sons...three men who are as different as figs, fennel and fish.  They are individuals and my love for and my relationship with each one is all-encompassing and unique.  Joe, the oldest (who likes to be called "Primo) is spontaneous and full of life...the child of my spirit.  Marc, the youngest is the thinker and the doer who thinks quickly and deeply on his feet, plans and takes action...the child of my mind.  Michael, the "middle child, is the relationship child who feels and cares deeply and loves loyally...the child of my heart.
Marc, Joe, Michael - 1973
Each of these men have left the nest and forged lives of their own and the years have been a journey of transitioning from an involved parent, an Italian "mamma," to a supportive parent and a friend.  I often interact with them while they are in their various adult roles, but it is also important to me to have one-on-one time with each of them when we can just talk and get caught up with what's going on...on the outside and on the inside!

So it was with eagerness that I set my alarm last night to be sure I was up early enough to meet Michael at a local Starbucks for a cup of coffee before he goes to the office.  Fortunately, Michael lives and works nearby so these coffee get-togethers are easily doable.  So Michael with his double-shot, vanilla-flavored coffee and I with my tall, non-fat latte sat for an hour at a pleasant outdoor table and talked.  We shared the "air-time" telling each other about what was happening that was important in our lives, asking opinions of each other and laughing a lot!  It was so easy to be together and as I sat there looking at this son, I could see the little boy face within the handsome man face.  My heart swells with love and appreciation for the gift of this son.  He told me I looked great and I felt like I did.  I left him with a hug, a spring in my step and a smile in my heart.  Thank you, Michael, for inviting me to share your life.  What more could a mother ask for?

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment