This novel had been recommended to me by a friend who knows I am always on the lookout for books about or set in Italy and I chose it as the first book to read in the Italy in Books reading challenge. A long novel, 447 pages, it tells parallel stories intertwining the tragic historical tale of the original Romeo and Giulietta, navigating Sienese family power ploys and feuds, with the modern escapades of Julie Jacobs as she tries to uncover her ancient family secrets. The plot twists and turns creating a labyrinth peopled with characters, who like all Italian families, have generations with repeating family names. So, at times it gets confusing.
In truth, the story felt plodding at times. There was romance, intrigue, tension and mystery...not unlike Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code." The characters were not very complex and occasionally even seemed overblown, so that was not what held me to the book. Rather, it was what I consider the main character of the novel...the city of Siena, that held me captive and kept me turning the pages. The author's detailed descriptions drew me back into my own memories of my time spent visiting there. In my mind I rewalked the narrow medieval streets with their contrada flags displayed, I re-climbed the stairs of the Torre del Mangia to look out on the landscape of the city,
![]() |
| Jay in Torre del Mangia, Siena 2004 |
![]() |
| Palazzo Publico Siena, 2004 |
Anne Fortier grew up in Denmark and came to the US in 2002 to work in Film. She is a historian holding a Ph.D. in the History of Ideas and she co-produced the Emmy-winning documentary Fire and Ice: The Winter War of Finland and Russia.
There is a website for the book here. It includes an interactive map of Siena showing where the various locations in the story are found in the city.
Here is a trailer from the book from YouTube.



Is this based on the Romeo and Juliet story set in Verona, only now transported to Siena?
ReplyDeleteI love Siena and all its pagentry.
Rosaria...it is based on the premise that Shakespeare got his inspiration from the Italian star-crossed lovers who lived in Siena in 1340. Wikipedia references an Italian tale written in Italy in the 1500's. I have listened to enough Italian guides in my travels to know that "everything originated in Italy!" LOL
ReplyDeleteHi Patricia! Thanks again for joining my reading challenge. As soon as I read the title of the book that you reviewed I thought "this is one for my wish list" (I'm from Verona, does that explain it?!) but, having read your opinion, I'm not so sure. The reviews on Amazon are on the same wavelength: good descriptions but little else to impress readers. I don't think I could put myself through over 400 pages just to read a few good descriptions... Would you still recommend it if you weren't in love with Siena?
ReplyDelete"Would you still recommend it if you weren't in love with Siena?" Personally, I would not recommend it unless the reader enjoyed the historical aspect and had enjoyed Dan Brown's books. It demands an investment of time that might be better used reading something else. That said, as with all "artistic" endeavors...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is very subjective. It will be interesting to see what other reviewers think!
ReplyDeleteI'm putting this on my reading list with a question mark. I can't decide from your review and the comments whether it's worth the effort.
ReplyDeleteLike Mary Jo I think this will go on the wishlist and if a copy comes my way I will read it, maybe, we shall see.
ReplyDeleteJust back from a long trip to the UK, now trying to catch up with all my blogging friends.
I am concerned that I have put-off people from reading this book. Reading is a subjective activity, with different styles appealing to different people. I tend to look for interesting character development and characters that I can identify with and care about and I, personally, didn't find it here. This book has had good reviews and definitely good sales. If you like history, intrigue, twisting plots, reading books like the Da Vinci Code...this book may engage you. :-)
ReplyDeleteHi there! I am also part of the Italy in Books Challenge and I am currently reading Juliet! I am about a 1/4 of the way through and, like you, am enjoying the descriptions of Siena. I can just picture myself walking the streets. So far, I am enjoying the book, even though every once in a while, something doesn't make sense (I think because she is bouncing back and forth between present and past) but I'm hoping that as I continue reading, it will all be clear! Thanks for the video clip - it was fun to watch!
ReplyDelete~Barbara