Monday, March 28, 2011

I Am a Reader - "Tomato Rhapsody" by Adam Schell

How can you not pick up a book that has a photo of a delicious red tomato superimposed over a glorious Tuscan landscape while cherubs (putti) hold a banner reading "A Fable of Love, Lust & Forbidden Fruit?"
Pick it up I did, and buy it I did, and read it I did, and delight in it I did, and meet the author I did, and try a couple of recipes I did.  In truth I received good value for my purchase.  Tomato Rhapsody by Adam Schell is not my usual type of book.  It is unique in that it is part fable, part history, part Shakespearean opera, part comedy and part romance.  It is a work of fiction and is set in Tuscany in the 16th century.  The plot is built on the story of the introduction of the tomato to Italy by the Spanish who brought it from the New World.  In this particular fictional account, "the Spanish" was a Spanish Jew who survived the Inquisition in Spain by traveling with Columbus on a later trip to the New World and ending up in Italy with the tomato...the "Pomo di Amore."

The story reads like a fable with a third party narrator keeping you apprised of what is going on behind the scenes.  What I found most interesting were the historical tidbits the author worked into the story; things I had never, ever heard before!  Like, the use of the language "Etruscanato Antiquato"...which the author claims is an early Italian dialect that evolved in Tuscany in the centuries after the ancient Etruscans were conquered by Rome.  It is largely a rhyming idiom...theorized to have developed as a means to facilitate memorization before the widespread understanding of the written language.  Is this truth?  Is it fiction?  Whatever...it adds so much to the enjoyment of the story.  Much of the dialogue is written in this rhyming format and it gives it a Shakespearean feel.  Italian words and phrases are used throughout and the bawdy humor is fantastic!  The ability to understand the Italian idioms made my enjoyment more pronounced.  The cast of characters are bigger than life and I was quickly drawn in to the various personalities and stereotypes.  You will recognize them.

The story line is predictable but knowing what is probably coming even adds to the enjoyment.  This story form is also reminiscent of Comedie del Arte, the improvisational street theater that developed in Italy in the 16th century.  If you are an Italophile and can't spend enough time physically or mentally in Italy, you will enjoy this book.

There is a website for Tomato Rhapsody and a Facebook Tomato Rhapsody Community Garden Group.  After reading the book, I wanted to meet Adam Schell so I went to see this creative author, who was preparing one of the recipes included in the book and signing books at the Hollywood Farmers' Market.

Adam Schell preparing "The Good Padre’s Lemony Tomato & Mint Panzanella Salad"
He signed my book and when I asked him about the historical accuracy of the "Etruscanto Antiquato" dialect  he merely smiled and raised his eyes to heaven!  Well, I wasn't surprised!  But, it certainly added to the story!

He signed my book..."To Patricia, a woman of obviously exquisite taste. May the sauce be with you!"  and "May the sauce be with all of you, as well!"

This book is my review for March for the Italy in Books Reading Challenge.

5 comments:

  1. Well this sounds like something I need to add to my summer cabin reading list! It sounds yummy and the author ain't bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel that you feel so happy reading this book and have the chance to meet the author as well. I always like you review as I have not been able to read a novel for sometime. Now, back to school I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly! You come up with the most fascinating things in life. I am anxious to read the book and perhaps try a few of the recipes. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the riddle of Etruscan language remains unsolved. What a coincidence that both of our March choices for the challenge should mention Etruscans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda ~ This would make a great cabin read!

    Malay-Kadazan ~ Good for you going to school!

    Linda ~ The recipes are fun, especially the way he works them into the story.

    Linda ~ The Etruscans have a special in the "story of my life!" I will have to blog about it someday! I also noticed the coincidence when I read your book review.

    ReplyDelete