Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Am An Admirer - Awesome Milli

This past weekend we celebrated Gabriel's 10th birthday and his entry into "double digits!"  He had two parties, one with his friends and one with his family. Milli asked if I would come to the friends' party to take pictures so I was able to see a 2011 version of a children's party.  In the past, many of his birthday parties have been the work of others and held at various venues...like a puppet show, or a bowling party...but this year he asked his mother if she would plan a special party for him, a "Minute to Win It" Party.  I was not familiar with it, but I learned that there is a television show with this same name which is a game show where contestants compete to win prizes by accomplishing various physical feats, racing against the clock and other contestants.

Well...Gabriel gave the task to the right person.  If there is anyone who has the drive, focus, commitment and energy to accomplish the overwhelming it is my daughter-in-love, Milli.


I call her "Mama Bear" and I have watched her attack seemingly impossible tasks, some related to his education, some related to his health, some related to his emotional well-being, on behalf of her son.  So this was doable for her!

I loved observing this party. It was so well-thought out and orchestrated.  12 children, divided into three teams of four, competed in 12 events.


Each event had all the necessary tools at the ready.  Milli explained the rules of each event and guided the children through the paces.


My son, Michael, was her very capable "assistant producer."


He had downloaded the actual theme song of the TV show and played it in the background as each event transpired.  He helped judge and handed out the chips to the winning contestants.  The games were so clever and they did things like stack ding-dong cakes into a chocolate unicorn on their foreheads,


roll marbles on a TV tray to stick on sticky tape,


move a cookie from their foreheads to their mouths without using their hands,


threading penne pasta on a strand of spaghetti.


What creativity! I couldn't help but recall parties of my own sons in the 60's where we played simple games like "Drop the Clothespins in a Milk Bottle," "Pin The Tail on The Donkey," and "Musical Chairs."

In the midst of all of this was Gabriel, reveling in a dream come true provided by the love and effort of his parents.


I decided that in this struggling economy, Milli could have a new career...she could always hire herself out as a party organizer or at a minimum rent out all the equipment she organized for this event.

One thing I do know for sure...If I am EVER faced with a daunting task or situation, I want her in my corner!!
Milli, you are AWESOME!

7 comments:

  1. nicely done Mom. Great perspective as always from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looked like a lot of fun, and a lot of organization and creativity. My, they could all be practicing all kinds of skills at a party setting. So clever!
    Give our congratulations to the parents and a big hug to the lucky birthday boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, Milli's energy puts me to shame! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of energy and organization is the key to creating such an enjoyable and memorable event for the birthday boy and guests. Congratulations to Milli and her 'support assistant', Michael. Best wishes to Gabriel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is so awesome. Where did she get all the energy from. I feel so guilty that I never had the chance to organise a proper birthday party for my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malay-Kadazan...from what I read on your blog, you are a wonderful, caring mother. You have no cause to feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun party thanks to a caring Mum, wife and daughter in law.

    ReplyDelete