Saturday, September 17, 2011

I Am A Hiker - Wandering In A Fog?

I graduated from Marymount High School, an all-girls school taught by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary nuns and tucked away "high on the hills" of Palos Verdes Pennisula. I have memories of driving the 30+ minute trip from the urban streets of Hawthorne, CA ascending the winding 2 lane roads of PV and trying to navigate fog so thick that I, the driver, and Kathy, my car-pooler, each had our heads hanging out the side windows trying to find the yellow line that would keep us in the middle of the road.  So yesterday, when Jay and I set out to join our Omnilore friends for our monthly hike, this time in Palos Verdes, I was not surprised to find us turning left on Highridge Road and entering a fog bank as thick as ...whatever is thick!

Omniloreans are not whimps!  We were all gathered in the parking lot trying to make a sensible decision about what to do as the fog was coating my jacket and my hair was "springing" into tight moisture-activated curls!  John was opting for finding another trail in a lower part of the pennisula and carrying on with our hike.  Cindy was suggesting finding a coffee shop and a warm cup of coffee.  Jay was opting for a nearby PUB! 

John and sanity won out and we caravaned to the Dapplegray area and Bridle Trail. This trail is one we have walked before and it is a gentle hike ambling up and down just a short distance from Palos Verdes Drive.

We shared the trail with horses so one challenge was to navigate the gifts left behind, which Cindy said are called "road apples" in her native Ohio. 

We saw the backs of various homesteads

rubbed the noses of corralled horses


and admired the sometimes loved, sometimes tolerated, sometimes hated peacocks that inhabit the hills. 

About 2 1/2 miles later we ended up at the Nature Center where we enjoyed our brown bag lunches and congenial discussion about "life" and other related topics! 

We appreciate the opportunity to engage with our like-minded friends in activities such as this.  These past few months have brought sad news to us of close friends who are dealing with serious health issues and we are reminded of the fragility of life.  So we appreciate our present health and abilities and want to live each day fully.  Activities like today are a gift to us!  A wonderful time was had by all!!

8 comments:

  1. Hopefully you will get to do the planned trail on another day when there is no fog. Fog does rather spoil the views!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I'm wandering around in a fog and it has nothing to do with hiking. Perhaps I should take it up to clear my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't begin to imagine fog like that. It's something we don't get here. Is it cold when there is fog as thick as that?

    Sounds like an enjoyable day , despite the fog.
    Hiking with friends sounds like a wonderful way to spend time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing like a ramble with like-minded friends, despite the weather. Thanks for sharing your experience in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sentiment at the end of your post. We must always relish in our ability to do things; health, vigor, and fitness might not always be our constant companions!
    Each day, when I am inclined to pine for some thing that I don't have, I try so very hard to turn it around and say with gratitude, "Thank You for all of the blessings that are showered upon me daily". Why pine for more when we have been given so much?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~LindyLou - There is beauty in the fog but it does dampen a hike!

    ~Linda - I have been in THAT fog too!

    ~Robin - No it is not cold...just very MOIST!

    ~Linda P - Absolutely!!

    ~Erin - what a lovely thought...it must be the human psyche that makes us pine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to regard horse poo as something dirty before we started gardening. But now its a treasure in our garden since it makes the soil grow good edible stuff for us. Looks like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just discovered your blog thanks to Robin at Garden of Eden. I too am a retired teacher just in my 2nd year of retirement. Husband is still working, however so we are not as free or spontaneous in our activities yet. That will come one day. Look forward to following you.

    ReplyDelete