Friday, September 30, 2011

I Am A Knitter - Attending VOGUEknitting Live! in LA

Ever since I joined the Slipt Stitchers Knitting Guild I have been aware that there exists a "knitting underground community."  There are gatherings, knit-ins, conventions, seminars, classes, knitting camps, big-name designers, fiber gurus, yarn snobs, spinners, knitting blogs and virtual knitting communities...things I was totally unaware of when my knitting consisted of afghans made with yarn bought at Michael's Crafts.  This knitting world is a slippery slope and venture into it at your own risk...it can all get quite exciting, motivating and addicting.

Last weekend I took my first step down the slope by attending the VOGUEknitting Live held in Century City.  I went with my friend, Cindy, and since we didn't quite know what to expect, we signed up for a marketplace pass for one day.


Let me say first off, we had a ball!  The venue was not huge but it was packed with spirited knitters...all just so happy to be there.  Even though we had not signed up in advance for any of the various classes or workshops...which were filled very quickly...we still had plenty to do with our Marketplace Pass.  We started out by attending one of the many Fashion Shows complete with a long runway where various yarn shops showed their designs and yarns worn by pencil thin models wearing knitted creations over black form fitting tights and tops.


We had a chance to talk to a mother/daughter team sitting next to us who had flown into LA from New York just for the event.  In addition to Fashion Shows, there were various demonstrations being conducted showing the how-to's of techniques such as blocking, free-form knitting, cabling, felting. And then there was the marketplace.  Be still my beating heart!  Table after table, filled with the most gorgeous colors and textures...


Cindy admiring some yarn.
some yarns so soft that you just wanted to sink into them and never come up.  I had a hard time removing my hand from a skein of MadelineTosh Pashmina....I want!  Seeing so many wonderful items was motivating and gave us great ideas for future projects.

Cowl shawl made with beautiful Classic Elite Silky Alpaca, Garnet

No, I don't think I will knit a bikini!
Some knitting kits were even made up of the yarn and pattern for many of the items we viewed on the runway.  Of course, all of it was beautiful and all of it was "troppo caro"...too expensive.

We came home filled with ideas and desires.  I am glad that we went and experienced it. And....I can see how easy it would be to reach a credit limit and why there might be a need for a 12 step program to help manage the addiction!  Step one...Admit I am powerless over yarn.  Step two....

3 comments:

  1. Happy that you had a ball with your friend. I always admire people that can knit. It need a lot of concentration to make it. Hopefully one of these days I will have the time to learn this art as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting and crocheting is popular here too. You must have had a great time with your friend.
    All those lovely yarns look so tactile and tempting to buy.
    As far as I know there aren't any big knitting events in our locality, but there are handicraft lessons in local stores and in private homes.
    I hope you show us your next creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a knitter but rediscovered crocheting last winter (it is a winter past time for sure). My daughter (her blog is greens and jeans on my list of favorites) is the knitter in the family. She would have loved that gathering you went to.

    I haven't figured out how to add myself as a follower to your blog. Seems to be for networked blogs which I don't think I am.

    ReplyDelete