So I have to say that I am currently in uncharted territory. I am realizing that there are somethings we do not have control over...and sometimes there is just not the strength to change your attitude. Sometimes, things can feel so overwhelming that you just want to sit there.
My mother continues to work at her rehabilitation at the skilled nursing center. She has surprised me with her attitude of acceptance. She is not a problem patient. She is not ranting. She says, "What good would it do, it doesn't change anything." So, she accepts and waits for her Care Attendant to answer her bell. She waits for me to come to visit her each day. She waits to be helped into bed. And each day she wills her muscles to try just a little harder.
![]() |
| December 24, 2011 |
I have not been posting because at the moment it feels like the well is dry. When I am my usual self, I feel fully alive and my juices are flowing. Right now I feel arid. But I am not anxious about it. I am just quiet inside and doing what is necessary to get through each day. I have a greater appreciation of the energy it takes to just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I have a greater empathy for those who feel vulnerable when they find themselves in unfamiliar territory. Life continues to present lessons. My mother continues to teach me. Through her example she shows me what it is like to be at the mercy of life's events and how to retain your dignity through it. The one adage I can count on is that "Tomorrow is another day and...this too shall pass." I am waiting for the oasis.

Patricia, your mom is a good teacher... try not to worry, relish in the fact that each day is a gift. As for the blog, you can only post when you feel you have something to say. Be still, quietly listen. There will be a thought, a voice, an idea. You just have to let go and believe that the higher power will step in. Trust, and have faith, hope and love. e
ReplyDeleteI'm sending good thoughts your way. All your coping skills will be used and re-used. Take a deep breath and establish as easy a routine on yourself as possible. Now is the time to call in favors from relatives and friends. Say, if you want to help me now, this needs done...
ReplyDeletePeople want something to do, as they see you stretched so thin.
Let them.
Allow them into your space and be up-front about it.
Your mother will need time to heal; and time to accept what is happening to her. You do too.
The oasis? Yes, keep focusing on that goal.
It is just around the corner.
Love and blessings to both of you.
Just to say - thinking of you and your loved ones. All my love. x
ReplyDeletePatricia la tua mamma come la mia , è un grande esempio di vita . Godi tutto il tempo che starà con voi e gioisci per il dono grande di averla avuta per così tanto tempo . Sicuramente reagirà bene anche questa volta , offrendovi come dono d'amore tutte le sue energie . Che Dio vi benedica e vi aiuti in questo momento così difficile !
ReplyDeleteWe, your friends, are your oasis. The previous comments are worth taking in. The beauty of our age is that we can take a quiet day or more and not feel that we always have to be accomplishing things. God is giving you "spa days" to regain your energies so that in the future you will be able to cope. Peace.
ReplyDeleteHappy New year! I know about the well being dry that's why I took the hiatus from blogging. I'm rethinking my commitment to it even now. My resolution to return to it may be in a modified format.
ReplyDeleteHope your mother continues to improve.