They say….”Life is a journey, not a destination.” Sometimes, when you are on the road, looking ahead to the future, what you see is a fog bank. You move forward, enter it, and feel lost. You don’t know what lies within it. It can be scary! But, usually, if you look into your rear view mirror, to where you have been, you can see that you were always on a path. One life event led to another, and then to another, and here you are…in your present. And you are doing fine!
This past weekend, we participated in my oldest son, Joe’s,
journey. A little over a month ago, he
entered a fog bank. Thanks to the
economy and the changes in his industry, Joe’s job went away. He faced the future, not knowing how he
should proceed nor what he would encounter.
After great thought and discussion with significant people in his life,
he made a choice. He saw an opportunity
to enter a new door, to pursue something that seemed very core to who he
is.
Joe is a writer. All
his life he has had an innate ability to connect with himself and with the
world through words and his ability to place those words on paper. Though the work that paid his rent was not
involved with writing, he found other outlets for his talent through freelance
work, blogging, writing song lyrics. He
eventually “certified” his talent by earning a degree in Journalism. Now, life had detached all the “ties that
bind” and was offering him an opportunity to try to join his livelihood with
his talent and passion. With his close
friend, Drew, Joe has some irons in the fire and to facilitate these projects,
he decided to leave the San Diego, where he has lived for the past 17 years, and
start anew in the small town three hours distance up the state called Acton.
This weekend was the move and Jay and I drove to San Diego
Friday night to assist him with the logistics of getting his car, a UHaul
filled with all his worldly goods and his two dogs to his new home. I was so impressed with how organized and
smoothly everything went. Joe also
writes To-do lists. Everything was anticipated
and accomplished.
Load truck,
check.
![]() |
| Joe had loaded the entire truck himself! |
Write out directions for Mom and Jay, check.
Say good-by to neighbors, check.
![]() |
| Joy walks this street everyday and she wished him luck! |
Spend last evening with friends, check.
![]() |
| Joe with two of the many friends that turned out to wish him luck! |
![]() |
| Joe walking with Princess Kayia, who dressed up especially for the party! |
We drove in a caravan, following the route that Joe had mapped out,
stopping once for the weight station and once for some nourishment,
![]() |
| Jay and Joe enjoying their subs...one Italian and one Veggie! |
and
eventually pulled into his new home.
![]() |
| Joe has a 2 bedroom second floor condo. |
The
apartment looked perfect and the absence of the city sounds created an
atmosphere of calm.
Joe seemed right at home surrounded by the beautiful high
desert and
![]() |
| On his balcony surrounded by the mountains of the high desert! |
The dogs were excited at room to run.
My second son, Michael, joined us from LA to help his
brother with the muscle work and we quickly had the truck emptied.
On the way home I reflected on my role as mother. It is not easy to detach in a healthy way
from your children. I want a future of
happiness for each one of them. But I know
that I cannot be the one to provide it. I
let go and give them their life. And
every once in a while they give me that most precious gift, of allowing me to
share in their life…even if it is only driving the sweep vehicle in the caravan
and carrying the light weight boxes into the new house.
So, I stand in the wings and wish them well as I watch them enter the fog bank, with my heart caught in my throat, trusting that they are remaining on that path that is their life’s journey. That they are right where they are supposed to be.
So, I stand in the wings and wish them well as I watch them enter the fog bank, with my heart caught in my throat, trusting that they are remaining on that path that is their life’s journey. That they are right where they are supposed to be.
Good luck, Joe, on this next
chapter.










This was wonderful Mom. Brought a happy tear to the eye. I love you! Thans for ridin' sweep!
ReplyDeletePat, I love to read your posts. They are always so inspiring. As a parent it is difficult to watch your kids enter a fog bank of uncertainty in their lives. Sometimes children are forced to grow up early in life due to family circumstances as they step on that "accelerator" called life, but they somehow come through that fog bank safely on the other side and as their parent, we can take a deep breath and relax. Joe, I wish you always the very best.
ReplyDeleteYour blog post says what we all hope for with our children. As always there is "the excitement of the future" and "the joy of the memories"...
ReplyDeleteAll the very best to Joe in this new phase of his life after taking up the challenge when a new opportunity was presented in a different
ReplyDeletetown. Joe's dogs will enjoy the new environment which also looks right for them at this moment in time.
Congratulations and great luck to you Joe. Life is an adventure worth taking! Connecting with your new environment will delight your inquiring mind. Having been in the fog many times on many adventures, I for one, will never regret the leaps! I look forward to hearing of your new adventures! Cousins forever! Veronica a.k.a. Ronnie a.k.a. Zip
ReplyDeleteAuguri a Joe e a tutti voi , così coinvolti in questa nuova avventura !
ReplyDeletePaola e Gianni
Acton is the borough next to me, perhaps a few minutes walk away since I live right on the edge of the Hammersmith Borough. Your title made me think "Wait, I thought she was in California....."
ReplyDeleteI too wish Joe every happiness in his new chapter, and every success in finding what he hopes to find.
And for you, every joy this season :) xx
I agree with every word you wrote here, about being a mom and letting our children soar. You are a great support system for your son. I like what Kahlil Gibran wrote, about parents being the bow and a child being the arrow, flying free as he or she leaves the bow.
ReplyDeleteJoe does sound organised! All the very best to him - and to you.
ReplyDeleteI like when you say 'I stand in the wing': this is what we should always remember so that our children can freely make their choices (but sometimes it is so difficult not go give I requested advise!).
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to Joe for the courageous decision of giving a new turn to his life.