It is 6:30 am. I
listen and the house is so quiet. There
is no music from Peppa Pig playing on the TV.
There are no little voices screeching, “Mima, Mima,” “No Jessie!” “Mine!” “Let’s go outside,” “Panda Cookies,
please,” “read a book,” “tickle me,” “chase me,” “Sing ABCs,” “Strawberries,” “I do it myself!” I lie quietly and feel so
alone. There are no little feet pushing
into my side. There is no little body
pushed against my tummy. I open my eyes
and there are no two sets of big brown eyes staring at me. The children have gone home.
I have just survived 42 continuous hours caring for Gino and
Jessie. Their mother, a 24/7 mom, an Amazon Woman who never stops, finally had
the opportunity to have a weekend to herself, to fly off to Monterey to attend the
college graduation of a dear friend’s daughter.
Their father, who was to have been on a business trip, was home nursing
a physical ailment. I was asked and
gleefully accepted to care for my two grandchildren. No problem, I have raised three children, I
can do this!
I now understand why we are fertile only when we are young. I begin to think that my body may actually
have an expiration date. Being the
fulltime caregiver of 2 toddlers is an extremely taxing responsibility and yet,
one that fills all the cracks and crevices in a psyche. While their attention spans last about 3
minutes, I seem to go from pillar to post in an attempt to keep them
occupied.
We went for walks,
we went for rides,
we visited Bump at the
golf course and got cookies from Kate.
We visited the neighborhood dogs and watered the plants in the
garden.
We played with Play Dough
and
navigated Youtube for Kids for videos on the tablet,
we worked puzzles.
We ate strawberries,
eggs,
chicken, Panda Cookies, hotdogs
with ketchup, Panda Cookies, Big Bird Bars,
Pizza,
pasta, Panda Cookies, ice
cream,
cupcakes, and.... Panda Cookies.
We
looked for boats on the ocean. We read
books, we sang songs, we played Zingo.
I even imported some help in the form of cousin, Gabriel,
who helped keep Gino occupied by building Legos and talking about Super Heroes.
Both toddlers are talkers and the day is filled with “why?” At times I cannot understand what Jessie is
saying as she speaks to me with her eyes wide open and a little smile on her
face. I turn to my translator, Gino, and
ask, “What is your sister saying?”
Jessie turns to him and repeats what she has said. He turns to me and says, “She says she wants
to sing ‘wheels on the bus.’”
The house looks like a train wreck. Jay tries to pick up the trail of toys but I
tell him to just leave it be. The toys
will back on the floor in two minutes.
Jay plays fetch and carry, bringing me their water, a tissue, some more
Panda Cookies from the storeroom. We
look at each other over their little heads and exchange a nod of understanding
and support.
As the day wears on and they become tired, we put on pajamas,
we brush our teeth, we get our blankets, and we sit in the rocker…one child on
each leg…and after negotiating which song we will sing first (of course they
each want a different song!) we begin to rock and close our eyes.
The next trick is navigating two sleeping
bodies to the bed. They co-sleep as a
family so I get to spend the next 8 hours sleeping with two little bodies
pressed up against me. I lie there and
feel their little chests rise and fall with each breath. I look at them and see
their perfect little faces still at last and I am filled with a sense of wonder
and a feeling of fierce love.
It is Sunday around noon and their father comes to pick them
up. They have had a bath, their hair is
brushed, their clothes are packed in the suitcase, their snacks in the snack bag,
their toys in the toy bag. They give me
hugs good-by and pull out of the driveway with Daddy, eager to see Mommy who
will be home in a few hours.
I return to the house, sit in the recliner and sleep for 2 ½
hours.
And this morning I wake up to a
silent and still house. I feel
empty. I have read many articles on how
grandparents can impact a grandchild’s life.
But it is a mutual admiration society. The impact of a grandchild on a grandparent’s
life cannot be measured! We all need to
experience unconditional love and that is what I receive a hundred fold from these two little ones. I would fight tigers for them. But for now, I have to go buy some more Panda
Cookies!














No comments:
Post a Comment