Last night we celebrated the anniversary of when I accepted his proposal of marriage. When you fall in love at the ages of 57 and 62 you don't have a lot of time to saunter into a relationship. Jay and I reconnected in May of 1998. We had worked together many years ago and had always been friends so we knew each other, but this time we knew were considering more than friendship. By July he had asked me to marry him. I could not say yes...it was happening too fast. How could he be sure he wanted this? He asked me repeatedly and I kept saying things like, "Don't ask me yet...it's too soon." To... "Well probably, eventually." To...on August 29th... "Yes." August 29, 1998 was also the first time I had cooked for Jay so it is appropriate that we celebrate with a special home-cooked meal.
The dish of choice was one we both loved... "Smoked Paprika Shrimp with Poblano Polenta and Red Pepper Sauce". It does take some prep time since it involves three separate items but it is not difficult. I discovered on a McCormick Spices website, here.
Some of my own comments about the dish:
- It is billed as an appetizer but I prepare it as an entree.
- Instant polenta can be difficult to find. They have it at Whole Foods and at Argentine Markets.
- I use a jar of roasted red peppers from Trader Joe's for the sauce...saves a bit of time and works fine.
- The Polano pepper can also be a Passila or an Ancho...you want a little bite, not as bland as a bell pepper but not too hot. I would not use a Jalepeno.
Buon Appetito!
![]() |
| Paprika Shrimp, Polenta, Red Pepper Sauce |

Looks amazing! I want to know how to make it for Bahram :-) I know he would LOVE it!
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious! We've become huge fans of polenta since moving to Northern Italy where it is a staple. I have to tell you though -- your dish is a lot like the not-so-fancy shrimp and grits that we Southerners enjoy so much. I'd love to try some!
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
Dana
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete